Maya air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dea DD,

Sorry, but O2 is only required above 12,500 ft. And even in Texas I always fly high, its cooler and we have a saying that goes like this: What are the most useless things in aviation? Answer: Gas in the fuel truck, runway behind you, and ALTITUDE above you!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

Dea DD,

Sorry, but O2 is only required above 12,500 ft.
Oh really. I wonder how many O2 deprived pilots buzz around our skies that high each day? :confused:

Dave is right. Let me add a little bit. That's a cabin altitude of 12,500 feet. The plane could be flying at 30,000 but neither pilot would have to wear an O2 mask.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2015 at 03:09 PM ----------

I have always wondered what effect altitude would have on a diver that flys. If a pressurized airplane climbs to 30,000 feet with a cabin altitude of 8,000 feet or a small unpressurized plane climbs directly to 8,000. The small plane reaching a cabin altitude 8,000 well before the big jet does. Are you more susceptible to DCS because of the rate of change of pressure. I would think so; but, I have never seen any data on it.

Well I can tell you that on a long flight at 12,500 ft(cabin altitude) you end up tired, and even short flights leave me with a headache. But to answer the basic premise of DD about spaced out pilots, I don't believe flying ay 10,500 feet makes any pilot spacey or dangerous—no where near as dangerous as me at 150 ft deep. FAA is very cautious about such things and if 10,500 was dangerous, they'd change it.

And the person who brought up the glide ratio was right on, when at 10,000 ft a small plane has miles and miles of choices on where to safely land. On the other hand, Mayair flies at 1500 ft and over water!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

Last edited:
And the person who brought up the glide ratio was right on, when at 10,000 ft a small plane has miles and miles of choices on where to safely land. On the other hand, Mayair flies at 1500 ft and over water!
I guessed they didn't get that high.
An altitude seldom used, isn't it.

So we should keep a tank with a regulator screwed onto it just in case?
I'd make sure my seat had a life vest. :eek:

I flew Mayair this morning to Cancun and missed the bottleneck. I am pretty sure that coming from Cozumel to Cancun on Mayair is a good choice. Going back to Cozumel…I take the bag drag as it is frequently quicker and takes no time getting to, and hanging out in the FBO lounge.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I flew Mayair this morning to Cancun and missed the bottleneck. I am pretty sure that coming from Cozumel to Cancun on Mayair is a good choice. Going back to Cozumel…I take the bag drag as it is frequently quicker and takes no time getting to, and hanging out in the FBO lounge.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

That is my preferred way too, but the timing this trip was right on, so I went with Mayair Cun to CZM. So something will probably happen.....

Well I can tell you that on a long flight at 12,500 ft(cabin altitude) you end up tired, and even short flights leave me with a headache. But to answer the basic premise of DD about spaced out pilots, I don't believe flying ay 10,500 feet makes any pilot spacey or dangerous—no where near as dangerous as me at 150 ft deep. FAA is very cautious about such things and if 10,500 was dangerous, they'd change it.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

If you are at say 30,000 feet and you want to land. You need to start down around 90 miles out with the engines at idle. If 10,000 about 30 miles out you must start down. These are rough estimates and your mileage may vary. Jets are much better gliders than prop type airplanes. I don't know what the glide ratio of Maya Air is. If you need to hurry the descent up (last guy to the bar, buys) you can add drag with flaps, or speed brakes or even gear. Some jets can come down like a greased crow bar if you need them too. The newer jets are harder to get down than a newbie on his first open water.

Some pilots take a few hits of O2 before landing. At night, it's like someone turns on the lights. Reduced O2, decreases night vision; so, breathing off the O2 mask brighten things up a bit and usually gets rid of that tired feeling. I think it makes you a little sharper too; but, then again I think diving with Nitrox makes me less tired. No data to support my theory.

Back
Top Bottom