Maybe hanging the fins up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is corny as hell. And I reserve the right to use it myself. Unashamedly.
Why not? I stole it from someone else who probably stole from another and so on. :D :D :D

Keep at it. I hope things work out well.

@Marie13 I came back from this skiing injury. Went all the way to the bone and severed the big nerve that controls a lot of stuff in my foot. Skiing and ice skating are still a nightmare, and diving can be a little awkward at times *if I'm kicking hard I do tend to veer off to the right*.
We have a cave diving legend down in cave country that needs a walker to get to the water, but once he's in is quite good.
I've got a buddy that has had a hip replacement, about to get the other done, like 6 vertebra in his back fused, and a shoulder replacement *paratrooper...*, and while he can't get up ladders anymore, we make sure he can get in and out

I'm with everyone above that said use it as therapy. Start at the surface in the pool without fins. No impact, full range of motion, resistance training, all the good stuff! Add fins on the surface and use it to help strengthen everything up. Baby steps, but don't hang it up yet. Season is still very early, you'll get back at it

54330_10150290538525134_1908324_o.jpg

@Marie13
Don't give up, hang in there. Show that bad gut feeling that came up what you are really made out of! Fight back. Always.

I think I have mentioned this here before, but about ten years ago, I had an attack of Sciatica that took my left leg down to about 30% strength. PT brought it back to about 90%, and then I blew out the opposite hamstring thinking I could go back to running like I had been prior to the Sciatica. PT, again, brought the "good" leg to full strength, and the "bad" one up to about 95%

My biggest concern through the entire ordeal was whether I would ever have the leg strength to get up a dive ladder. Even though my left foot and outer calf are still numb, I have learned to be careful with foot placement, and aware that I can't still put full weight on the "bad" leg, and to plan my steps accordingly.

As others have said, hang in there, all is not lost! Be patient, and you can prevail.

Agree with other comments. Do the therapy, try to take a positive attitude. I always find that when I’m injured it
always “seems” like recovery will be slow or result in a significant diminshment of previous capabilities, but often this is not true.

Everyone is getting older, but based on your description of your traing regime over the last year, you have been getting stronger. It seems clear that your desire to dive has been the motivating factor in the training/swimming you’ve done.

Improving your health and physical capacity are worthwhile goals and if diving has been the end goal that motivated you, you should definitely not relinquish that “objective” - at least not without an epic battle.

Good luck

Last edited:
I have been on dive boats from North Carolina to the Caribbean and every single one so far will work with a diver to make it happen. Can’t climb the boat with weight? Take your off in water and have the crew lift it up. In Cozumel that’s fairly common and they are prepared. Other places less common so make sure to discuss your needs with the captain.

I would wager that a large percentage of divers have some degree of physical limitations given our collective age. Residual issues with shingles should improve over time with excellent prospect of return to full function. And there are meds to help with pain if needed.

I know you love laps in the pool. I think @The Chairman prescription for aquatherapy may be just the thing needed to get you back in shape for scuba.

As for diving on a boat: most dive ops will let you ascend the ladder sans gear. You strip it off at the ladder and let them take it while you get only yourself out of the water. Yeah, you might have to swallow a bit of pride, but it will keep you diving. On the second Achilles Tendon operation I found that those 1ft>seas had built to 4/5ft during the first dive. They knew of my possible limitations and took my gear and then helped me to get out of the water and to my seat without stressing the ankle one whit. It wasn't near as embarrassing as I thought it would be and the other divers were actually impressed with the execution. I sat out the second dive as the seas grew, but that first dive made it all worthwhile.

We have a cave diving legend down in cave country that needs a walker to get to the water,
I don't need a walker yet! :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom