Medium-short hair woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just busted my other computer's ethernet card <laptop> and my web cam is on there... so won't be able to post a picture of the panty hose until I buy or my bf salvages my card.. I will post a picture asap... of the panty hose... :p

well, just back from my trip, where I needed the hair help. I ended up wearing a giant elastic band (like the little pony tail ones but bigger) and clipped it into my hair with a couple of barrettes. It seemed to do the trick and kept my hair out of my face during my dives and on the boat rides. ;-)

Hi Rachel,

Sorry, I wish I had seen this before... Well, here's something you might want to try next time...

I use this with or without a hood and it's the only thing that works very well for me even without a hood! I also have about collar length hair - I can tuck it behind my ears but not in a ponytail.

It's one of those plastic spiky scrunchies. I hope you know what I'm talking about. Teens used to wear them around 5 years ago. You wear it from your front hairline, down behind your ears, and to the nape of your neck, where it locks together. The spikes stretch out like a comb and comb into your hairline, holding every hair in place. If you have some tiny hairs, don't push it back too much or you can still use a bobby pin to make sure.

This works extremely well, and is usually in place even after 2 dives! :dazzler1:

Bonus: This looks decent and neat on. If you keep this comb-like band on until your hair dries, it will give you some waves in your hair and it will look fairly nice for your apres-dive get-together... :dance:

These bands can usually be found at accessory shops, flea markets, and dollar stores. Good luck! :)

Wow,

This is wonderful to have a place that can assist me with these crazy things that guys have no clue about. I am getting a Dee-Rag soon. :crafty:

Rovendiver:
Wow,

This is wonderful to have a place that can assist me with these crazy things that guys have no clue about. I am getting a Dee-Rag soon. :crafty:

:laughing: There's just no place like home, I can not even begin to name the amount of help and support the people on this Board have given me.

By the way, the longer it gets, the worse it is. I'm growing my hair out right now for Locks of Love and sometimes it takes all that I am not to hack it off. I need to have at least six inches, but they would prefer a little longer, specially since my hair is very curly. I'm almost there, maybe another month or so. I hate my hood because I can't ever seem to get all the locks inside it. I'm going to try the conditioner thing first and see if that helps it out. Thanks for the advice..

Cheers,
Vickie

This has been a great thread.

I just cut all of my hair off recently and sent it in to locks of love in honor of my dad who was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I had never had short hair before and I would never have believed how much trouble it can be. The panty hose thing is a great idea. I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks.

Hmm, interesting thread here. Caught my attention because being a little rock star weenie and a toddler of the '70s I've always--but always--had a preference for longer hair. Anything that will reign this mop in, especially when I have to wear my dreaded hood, is helpful.

On the lighter side, you could try my old standby: Make sure you don't shower for at least three days before a dive. (I would have added "don't shave", but I think for this audience that idea probably wouldn't help.) Brush straight back. Ease into hood.

Remember, in inner space no one can smell your scalp.

And as disgusting as it is, it does seem to work.

cheers

Billy S.

And as for the pantyhose idea, think of those old movies where the bad guys use it to disguise their dirty mugs while robbing banks or whatever. Except don't stretch it over your face. Snip off a couple of inches of the toe end and it should make a great, very compact hair net/cap.

Incidentally, did you know that pantyhose material is widely used as a cheap and very effective windscreen for microphones in recording studios?

cheers

Billy S.

yep, me too........grab the front, clip it, then take it out after the dive....no hassle and no worries on bits getting caught in the skirt! (of the mask)

Sorry to repeat but I must say that Dee-Rags work great!! The thought of pantyhose is interesting might have to try that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom