Medium-short hair woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rachelscott51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have medium short hair, can tuck it behind my ears, but can't get it in any clips. This is a bad length for diving as I like to have my hair out of my eyes. Does anyone have any good advice (besides a hood, which I use in cold water) on how to deal with it?

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Want a slightly icky idea? Use a tiny bit of hair conditioner to "slick" it back before putting on your hood - it should make it stay put long enough to get the hood on, but will harmlessly rinse out during the dive and will not adhere to the hood. (as opposed to mousse or hair spray which will)

My own solution? I went from medium length (collar length, then chin length) hair to "hack it all off" in favor of fewer hood hassles.

Thanks, but I don't need hood help as much as what to do without the hood.

Actually, sorry, I thought you were referring to keeping hair under your hood! Then I went back and re-read the post.

If I were diving in warm enough water to not require a hood, i'd be seriously considering usnig a neoprene beanie, bandanna, or a Dee Rag.

My wife likes a light beenie, I use beenie in colder water and one of several Dee Rags in warm water. In case you are not familar with Dee Rags, Dee from here on this board, makes and sells some nice skull cap type things, similar in looks to the one's like bikers and welders wear. They work well and are cool looking.
http://dee-rags.com/

FreeFloat:
Want a slightly icky idea? Use a tiny bit of hair conditioner to "slick" it back before putting on your hood - it should make it stay put long enough to get the hood on, but will harmlessly rinse out during the dive and will not adhere to the hood. (as opposed to mousse or hair spray which will)

My own solution? I went from medium length (collar length, then chin length) hair to "hack it all off" in favor of fewer hood hassles.

I'm with you FreeFloat, hack it off. That's what I did, and I have never been happier. There are some great short cuts out there that are quite feminine.

Pam

You can also take just the front top section and clip it back on the top of your head - my clip usually sits just a little behind my hair line. I do this with my medium hair whether or not I am using my hood. With the hood all the hair slides in great; without the hood I don't get floaties in front of my mask

I have shortish hair and use a neoprene beanie, does a good job of keeping the hair out of the way. I put it on too far forward then slide it back, taking the hair with it. (Rather than trying to tuck the hair in afterwards.) I hate hoods, but I'm fine with the beanie, and the extra warmth doesn't hurt.

I used to use a couple of those barrettes that are made of flat springy metal and flex back and forth to batten down the troublesome bits. (Discovered those when I was swimming along, being annoyed by my floaties, and conveniently found a barrette on the bottom!) But the beanie works better for me.

I Take my thumbs right behind my ears, and run them up to the top of my head,Smooth my top hair back and clip my hair in a barrette. You can put the barrette forword to keep floaters out of the face.It worked for me.Turtle Gal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom