meridiano tank rental cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are splitting hairs. My point is that markups for individual items elsewhere in the marketplace are frequently in excess of 400%. You can walk away from, say, a restaurant whose markup on food is too high for you, just as you can decline to buy nitrox if you don't want to pay the asking price. The dive ops do not have to justify their markups on individual pieces of their economic picture to you or to me, and they are not doing anything wrong by charging $10 for a nitrox tank. Take it or leave it.

I ate in an upscale restaurant the other night where I paid $36 for a dozen Gulf oysters. I ate a couple of nights later at a cheaper place where I paid $16 for a dozen of the same oysters (actually they gave me 15 because they were small). Am I going to go back to the first place and tell them that they overcharged me? Of course not; it was my choice to get them or not.

No argument there. As I previously said, I opted not to buy nitrox on my last visit because of the cost. Had it been more reasonable, I would probably have got the upgrade. If I'd done that, I'd have been happier, and the dive shop would have made some extra money (just not the 400% or whatever it works out to). In the end, a business has to decide what they market will bear. I don't think many Cozumel diveshops are losing customers over the price of nitrox. They're just selling less nitrox than they might otherwise sell. Maybe enough people buy it anyway that they don't think it would be beneficial to reduce the price.

I just figured it's probably not much extra effort to order 50 air and 20 nitrox (or whatever they need for that day) than it is to just order 70 air from merry-d. Maybe I'm wrong about the $100ish/year cost of a nitrox analyzer being significant to their bottom line.

I ate in an upscale restaurant the other night where I paid $36 for a dozen Gulf oysters
And you were fine when they charged you $10 more for horse radish - got it.

Dave brought up costs to support prices. That's what we're trying to discuss.

I think thats what you are trying to discuss Don! The thread has gone in many directions including disscusing a truck accident.
FWIW, I do one 2 tank dive per day when I am in Cozumel and rarely ask for nitrox. From diving in other places in the Caribbean and the US $8-$12 per tank seems to be the going rate. The cost per 2 tank dive is much higher in some places. Cozumel is still a bargain. Not quite getting what the big deal is!

Dear Dandy Don,

BTW the prices you see do not include value added tax of 16%. That is how we get the 190 peso price.

Dave Dillehay

Want to take this thread sideways even more?

I bought Le Cremme Pinot Noir at a restaurant for $68.00.....my wife buys it in the local store from $16-22.00. At 16, I buy all they have :drunks:

Now that's a mark up to complain about!:giggle:

So far there has been cost analysis, but what about value analysis to the diver?

How much increase % of dive time per day, Vs, how much increase in %cost per day, air Vs Nitrox? If your %increased dive minutes is greater than your % increase dollars paid, than you have also "profited", and then Nitrox upgrade can be described as "profit sharing" between shop and diver.

So far there has been cost analysis, but what about value analysis to the diver?

How much increase % of dive time per day, Vs, how much increase in %cost per day, air Vs Nitrox? If your %increased dive minutes is greater than your % increase dollars paid, than you have also "profited", and then Nitrox upgrade can be described as "profit sharing" between shop and diver.
Yes, well - that's why I look at the take it or leave it price list and decline Nitrox.

Dear Dandy Don,

BTW the prices you see do not include value added tax of 16%. That is how we get the 190 peso price.

Dave Dillehay
I see, ok - that would be 168 + 16% = 194 I suppose. I see where you are getting that now. Thanks.

Or for your HP 120s, your upgrade cost from air to nitrox is $168 Mxn - $45 = $123 + 16% = 142 Mxn = $7 Usd more, so you charge $10 more as there is more than just passing the costs along. Seems fare enough, thanks.

For other ops charging $10-12 Usd more for nitrox upgrade in 80s, the $60 Mxn + 16% = $70 Mxn = $3.50 Usd more cost on tanks being provided anyway. That does make a different in the figures. I can see them charging $6-7 more, but not $10-12. This is for discussion only, as I don't really want to upgrade - altho I might if it was cheaper.

While Gordy's example of restaurants or choke-and-pukes charging many times more above costs is not the same thing at all, I suppose if a bottle of wine is ordered at an add-on - there is not much more production cost there. Remove from box, open, pour into washed glasses, leave behind for the customer to pour, pour the 4th glass to increase tip - for several times the cost. Now that is similar, yes.

I pay $10 + 16%= $11.60 per tank of Nitrox 32 or 36%. It does increase my BT, however some dive shops limit the BT so that benefit does not seem to be there.

This thread cracks me up. The cost of Nitrox is not an issue at that rate. Yes its a safety add on. As such, Im even more willing to pay it. Here at home a nitrox fill is $15.00, and I dont complain, because I choose to use it. If a few bucks more is a big deal to you, then maybe you are in the wrong sport? A good can light will cost a few thousand dollars, but hey, if you want a brighter light to be able to signal your buddy from farther away, then you pay it. Otherwise use something cheaper....in this case 21%!
These dive ops are not getting rich off a few bucks made on a nitrox fill. Get over it.

PS...for those who go where the nitrox is free, you are paying for it somewhere. Trust me.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom