Mermaids or Aquanauts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off I come to Thailand to dive evry 2 months or so to get away from the country where I work, and I need a cleaner environment. I'm not a a PADI pro, but I have close to 300 logged dives, a few tech certs etc.I have looked into internships for when I'm not working. I frequently dive Pattaya due to it's easy weekend trip proximity to BKK airport. I have gone in the South as well. My advice for would be interns is to spend a month traveling in Thailand diving with the operators you're researched on the web. I'd do a dive day with them, write down in your log what you liked about the operation and what you didn't. Talk to the folks who are running the op, and the current DMT's. Then chose. Below are my impressions of some but not all of the dive areas.

Pattaya:
1) Pattaya offers quality training, mediocre conditions. Are there more challenging conditions to learn in? Absolutely.
2) Is Pattaya sleazy? Yes. Can it be avoided? Mostly. Does it have good infrastructure for living? Yes.
3) Is there only one good DM internship in Pattaya or Thailand in general, no there are many good ones each with slightly different approaches and cost structures.
4) I have friends who have worked/trained at Mermaids, Aquanuts, and Real Divers. They all seem to manage to get their respective trainees/interns through the certs in large numbers with high pass rates.

Koh Tao/ Koh Samui:
1) I'm going to get flamed for this, but in general the training standards here are lower, and the certs from this area are viewed in other parts of Asia as being very good. That said there are some good operators here. Conditions are mild. Diving is good.
2) Is it sleazy? Much less than Pattaya or Patong. Living infrastructure is not so good, comparatively with Phuket or Pattaya.
3) I have one friend who worked in this area that respected the dive op he worked for, he's a Tech instructor and felt it was possible to find good training there.

Phuket:
1) Offers some of the nicest diving in Thailand.
2) Does Phuket have a sleeze district, yup Patong.
3) Can't comment on the training quality there, but I'm sure it's fine based purely on hearsay.
4) Good infrastrucure, but not as good as Pattaya.

Koh Phi Phi:
1) Koh Phi Phi offers good+ diving, and it seems every third shop on the island is running a dive op.
2) Has very little sleaze factor, and very little to do.
3) Crap infrastructure. Food will also cost more here than other places.
4) Very much a license mill operation. If your goal is to learn to haul lots of people through OW water certs, you'll get it here.

If you are bored with the thread feel free to move on and look at another yourself, nobody forces you to log on and read. But please dont be so ignorant/arrogant to tell other people what to do in this manner. I will move on when I am good and ready thank you.

Oh My..... Lord,

I'm glad I peeked in this thread again!
Thank you for putting a smile on my face while reading your spunky post in this otherwise boring thread.

The only thing that puzzles me a bit is how to "look at another yourself"?

Your prompt reaction would be much appreciated!

Oh My..... Lord,

I'm glad I peeked in this thread again!
Thank you for putting a smile on my face while reading your spunky post in this otherwise boring thread.

The only thing that puzzles me a bit is how to "look at another yourself"?

Your prompt reaction would be much appreciated!

I look at numerous threads and comment when and where I feel fit, is that not the whole idea of a forum?
But I am not so rude to tell other people what to comment on and what to read, if I am not interested I simply move on as most sane people would. Maybe you would do well to do the same. Why are you so bothered about what I write,? Have I touched a nerve at some point?
And believe it or not I will continue to make posts when and where I want, even if my opinion differs with yours.
Over the years I have learned many things from discussions with others, but from your attitude it seems that you know everything already.

Over the years I have learned many things from discussions with others, but from your attitude it seems that you know everything already.

You really have a bit of a temper don't you?
Is that what you have learned from your discussions with others?

:chairfight:

:catfight: It looks like its on! Time to move on IMO. LK has an opinion that appears to be in the minority so readers can take what they want from the discussion. The two people you are quarreling with, Bomouth and from another thread involving Batfish are long time SB and Thai veterans.

:catfight: It looks like its on!

Don't worry Arizona,

I'm just teasing LK a bit...
I find it incredible that he keeps going on and on about that "years-ago Pattaya bad experience thing" and seemingly has made it his mission to bad-mouth Pattaya diveshops.

Don't worry Arizona,

I find it incredible that he keeps going on and on about that "years-ago Pattaya bad experience thing" and seemingly has made it his mission to bad-mouth Pattaya diveshops.

Some folks dwell on the mundane because they have nothing interesting to say...we should all give LK a big group hug and a bigger boohooohooo...
:depressed::depressed::depressed:
:crying:

Don't worry Arizona,

It is not a years ago experience, yes it started years ago and continued untill late 2008 when I finally gave up considering the pattaya shops to dive with.

And it really P***es me off when I see shops on this forum pitching at people saying what a good job they do when almost every diving experience I have had in Pattaya over a number of years has been substandard to what I am used to in other areas.

And no Bowmouth I do not have a temper, I will just not tollerate ignorance and bad manners that you have demonstrated on several occasions.

Back
Top Bottom