Mermaids or Aquanauts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too late Bowmouth...now your going to have to go out and kill an animal or something or were going to have to take away your Skull and Crossbones :no:

You try!
I'm not giving up my Skull & Crossbones!

:pirate5:

I fail to see How people can say the diving in Pattaya gives chalenging conditions.
Yes, there is sometimes currents. but no stronger than many places I have dived in the world, and certainly a lot less strong than we get in many places around the Uk.
yes the visibility is usually crap.
But most coral dives are only at a depth of 3-12 m, with the exception of a couple of sites.
The deepest dive of any worth is the HTMS kood max approx 32 m to sea bed at high tide.
And in the winter the water gets as cold as about 26c.
Why not try some Uk diving if you want challenging conditions. Pinpoint the wrecks yourself, put your own shot line on to the wreck, in rough seas. first having determined when the usually short (about 45 min) window of slack water is, then carry out the dive in cold water and sometimes extremely low viz and dark conditions.
I trust all the qualified pattaya interns are capable of doing this if they ever decide to work in the UK dive industry.

LK,

Have you ever done a dive on the Petchaburi Bremen? If not, I am sure you could brush up on pinpointing wrecks (without a GPS), putting on a shot line, anticipating slack (or as near as it gets) and hauling yourself down the line without purging all your gas. :D

It is a fairly challenging quite advanced dive site.

LK,

Have you ever done a dive on the Petchaburi Bremen? If not, I am sure you could brush up on pinpointing wrecks (without a GPS), putting on a shot line, anticipating slack (or as near as it gets) and hauling yourself down the line without purging all your gas. :D

It is a fairly challenging quite advanced dive site.

Yes 3 times and as wrecks go it really is not worth the bother. Dont need to brush up my skills in that department thanks, I am doing it all the time. Not saying that I cant always learn more you must understand.
Why anticipate slack can you not read the tide tables? Limited info as they are in Thailand.

Yeah of course I can read the tide tables. I would not even attempt to go out there without doing. Reason for anticpating slack is that the turnaround in the channel near the bremen is about 15 - 30 min max and as you said TT are limited in Thailand :)

What a train wreck...LOL
Don't know if the OP is still reading this at all...but I have trained in both Pattaya (Rescue, and Tech) and Kata beach near Phuket (IDC).

Honestly, the diving at the beach in both places was roughly the same in my opinion. In both locations, we had to take a two hour boat ride to get to "good diving". However, most training is not about the good diving...it's more about skills, esp at the instructor level where most of your time will be spent in the pool.

As for Pattaya, I enjoyed it, lots to do, beach is alive and Aquanauts is a first rate outfit. Good balance of serious training and fun.

What a train wreck...LOL
Don't know if the OP is still reading this at all...but I have trained in both Pattaya (Rescue, and Tech) and Kata beach near Phuket (IDC).

Honestly, the diving at the beach in both places was roughly the same in my opinion. In both locations, we had to take a two hour boat ride to get to "good diving". However, most training is not about the good diving...it's more about skills, esp at the instructor level where most of your time will be spent in the pool.

As for Pattaya, I enjoyed it, lots to do, beach is alive and Aquanauts is a first rate outfit. Good balance of serious training and fun.

Aquanauts may be good for training, I am unable to pass comment having never done a course there.
But as a diving customer I can assure you my experience was anything but first rate.
I think the comment I made in my log was 'avoid at all costs'

And let us remind everyone -- again -- that your experience is limited to one trip EIGHT years ago when the boat was different, composition of management team different, instructors different, equipment different... basiically everything different.

I'd appreciate if you simply didn't mention us again LK as what you have to say is irrelevant in 2009.

Back
Top Bottom