Mermaids or Aquanauts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the original poster has not made a decision and is having difficulty cutting thru all the trash on here give me a PM with you phone number and we can speak over the phone.

I am an instructor that did not get his training with one of the instructor schools in Thailand. Yet I have been to and dived in all the mentioned locations in Thailand over he past 10 years. In many cases with the dive shops that seem to be expressing opinions on the forum. I also have some friend that have gone thru the programs that each shop has expanded upon.

So if you want a working instructor's perspective (of I forgot to mention also part owner in a USA dive shop) then I would be glad to speak with you over the phone.

Oh I also do not get any financial income from your decision.

John

So what did you think? Your perspective would be welcomed to all reading.

Sorry I am not willing to share it in a open format such as this. I have no dog in this fight and found out a long time ago the best approach is to not enter one.

John

Then what is the point of having a discussion board? Perhaps sending a PM to the OP would have been better.

i have dived with both and they are ok .i think the better dive schools are the smaller one's .They have better dive leaders smaller groups to dive with the boat is not packed like sardines ,also the staff are very friendly and will talk to you heres a few to look at Seafari ,real divers and seaduction .Happy diving

i have dived with both and they are ok .i think the better dive schools are the smaller one's .They have better dive leaders smaller groups to dive with the boat is not packed like sardines ,also the staff are very friendly and will talk to you heres a few to look at Seafari ,real divers and seaduction .Happy diving

Its ok if you are happy to pay good money to be used as training fodder for their other customers (IDC Students).
In my experience most of these guys seem to have their own agenda and are not interested in the shops other customers that they should be looking after.
Personally I prefer to be looked after/tought by professional experienced staff rather than ones that are still learning themselves, and in my mind this is what shops should provide their customers unless they explain the situation up front, and offer customers a significant discount if they are happy to be used as training fodder.

Its ok if you are happy to pay good money to be used as training fodder for their other customers (IDC Students).
In my experience most of these guys seem to have their own agenda and are not interested in the shops other customers that they should be looking after.
Personally I prefer to be looked after/tought by professional experienced staff rather than ones that are still learning themselves, and in my mind this is what shops should provide their customers unless they explain the situation up front, and offer customers a significant discount if they are happy to be used as training fodder.

Exactly right, to treat full paying customers in this manner is shamefull on the part of the shops.

Both operators team their newbie instructors up with a veteran instructor or Course Director. It is the same with divemaster trainees. This provides an even smaller ratio of instructor:student supervision. I see no issues with this sort of set up. Aren't both of you certified divers? How much hand holding do you need? Besides, you are not paying for the instruction so you can't be training fodder. Is listening to a boat briefing by a DMT that bad? Their briefings are always very thorough. Students taking a course pay additional charges not just the fun diving rate you would pay. Were you taking a course? As an instructor with my own students on Mermaid's last weekend I had a very positive experience. I conducted the Rescue Course open water dives over two days and found Mermaid's very accommodating. My students were very happy. The ease of getting kit and not having to lug around EANx tanks was quite welcomed.

Just my opinion, but from a paying customers point of view, I think shops would do well to keep these two sides of their business completely seperate.
That of course is if they are really interested in having happy customers.
If you are using a boat, as an instructor, to take your own students, that is not the same as someone who has simply paid for a days diving and ends up being guided by quite often very inexperienced and/or disinterested divers. Yes in this situation, I am quite capable of looking after myself and indeed even on a divesite that is unknown to me can sometimes see more than I would going around in a group being guided by a disinterested DMT.
Not all diving customers want to be on a crowded boat surrounded by people training, and quite often this situation impacts on what is provided for diving customers.
Yes Arizona, when you are taking your students on a boat purely for training purposes I can quite see the benefits, but when people go just for a days diving, I can not think of one reason why I would want to go on such a trip which is full of IDC students.
Tried it many times and for me I am afraid it just doesn't work.
And yes a diving customer who has a DMT as a guide, is in my mind, very much being used as the DMT's 'training fodder', as has been described.
I must say not at either of the shops being discussed here, but I have personally witnessed a Divemaster conducting an OWC while the 'supervising' instructor was back on shore, again I repeat on the part of the shops this is shamefull behaviour.

And yes a diving customer who has a DMT as a guide, is in my mind, very much being used as the DMT's 'training fodder', as has been described.
I must say not at either of the shops being discussed here, but I have personally witnessed a Divemaster conducting an OWC while the 'supervising' instructor was back on shore, again I repeat on the part of the shops this is shamefull behaviour.

I would agree with you on both accounts you mention, as a DMT should never lead alone. Especially if the dive group is led to believe the dive guide is a qualified DM. I have not seen this personally, but then again I never checked.

As for a DM conducting a course, that would be shameful. Even PADI assistant instructors are extremely limited. Again, not something I would expect in shops like Mermaid's especially as they have two Course Directors on staff. On which dive outfit did you see this occur?

You are also correct, as having so many people training on one boat is not for everyone. A large selection of OW students for example could put off some more experienced divers. Some newer divers like the extra supervision. It all depends what you are looking for. Even without students the option to dive in a smaller group is always afforded. As a certified diver you can elect to lead and go in first or last with a buddy.

My main point is some such as Penguin Tom claim bad experiences, luckily this is not the case for all. Having a nice larger boat, reliable and well filled tanks, good briefings and adequate safety kit are worth some extra students taking various courses. Thankfully such choice exist.

Great to have open conversation without trying to silence anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom