Mikron 1st stage with Titan 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lriemann

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Looking to get my first reg.

Due to small size and weight, the mikron is very interesting to me.

I came across an ad with what seemed like a good but unusual offer.

A brand new mikron 1st with a brand new Titan second.
Someone who is interested in selling me a different reg set, told me this is quite fishy.
The seller has no receipt and says he bought the reg from an aqualung stand at a diving convention.

What is your opinion on the matter?
What would be a good price for the setup?
Or should I just forget about it?

I've never been given a receipt for any reg I own... No issue there.

Are you suspecting the equipment may be stolen?

Priced in your budget and if it's a reg you like, seems like a fine deal. You'll need to buy a pressure gauge and a second 2nd stage?

Cameron

Gotta be careful about what "brand new" means. To some folks, sitting in the original box on the shelf for the past ten years still means "brand new." If you happen to have good photos, or even serial numbers if these are in the US, I can possibly provide more info.

I also wonder how those got paired, but the current Mikron first stage is essentially the same first stage as the current Titan and Core with some cosmetic differences, so there is no mismatch there. The truly current Mikron first stage has the ACD feature on the 1st stage. No ACD means at least a year older. Only 1 HP port means 6 or more years older. (Not sure exactly when they added the 2nd port, but it was there in 2013.)

Gotta be careful about what "brand new" means. To some folks, sitting in the original box on the shelf for the past ten years still means "brand new." If you happen to have good photos, or even serial numbers if these are in the US, I can possibly provide more info.

I also wonder how those got paired, but the current Mikron first stage is essentially the same first stage as the current Titan and Core with some cosmetic differences, so there is no mismatch there. The truly current Mikron first stage has the ACD feature on the 1st stage. No ACD means at least a year older. Only 1 HP port means 6 or more years older. (Not sure exactly when they added the 2nd port, but it was there in 2013.)

Thank you.
I will ask for the serial number.

Here are two photos of the regs:View media item 206663View media item 206662

IMG_1543172775237_32518.jpg
IMG_1543172775237_32518.jpg
IMG_1543172775260_55528.jpg
Well, the seller is pretty fast with his replies.
He just sent me these photos.

First of all its DIN and I assume that is what you want.

Second, even though advertized as new I would consider it used and price/treat accordingly.

A Mikron/Titan combo is not standard but it is certainly compatible. But be aware that you loose much of the benefit of the Mikron set, notably the small size second stage, but gain in less of the bubble interference that some Mikron uses have reported.

In the states on Ebay you might expect to pay 100 to 150 based on condition and demand at the time listed.

Those both appear current to me, although I can't tell if the 1st stage has ACD or not, so it might be older than 1 year but otherwise current. And you get a braided hose, too!
Note that they are not rated for use under 10°C.

Serial numbers are not in the Aqualung US database. Are you in the US or in Germany? If in the US, no manufacturer's warranty applies as they do appear to have been shipped to the US. But that is not transferable on 3rd party sales anyway.

One more note - if the 1st stage does have an ACD, and these are from another country than the US, then I can't say for sure if the recent ACD Safety Notice applies or not. If it does, then it should be brought in for a quick n/c adjustment.
http://www.aqualung.com/us/pdfs/Consumer_Safety_Notice_ACD_AQA.pdf

Although that serial number falls within the range stated in the US notice, the notice did not include the Mikron as they did not have an ACD at the time. But..... if the Mikron version with ACD was already in distribution in other areas earlier, then it could be affected.

Thanks a lot for the information.

This reg is indeed from/in Germany.
The price is about 150 USD.

I don't expect any warranty, just a solid reg.

I see the recall is for Yoke and this is DIN.
Maybe it still applies.
Perhaps I'll ask Aqualung Germany.
But if I bring it in for inspection at LDS right away, which I intend to do, won't they fix it anyway?

I agree that the Mikron 2nd is smaller and lighter, which is great for me- I count every ounce.
I did read about bubble complaints online, and it initially put me off Mikron.
But my DM in Sinai had one and really liked it.

Decisions, decisions....

You are right, DIN was unaffected. I stand corrected. It was a part that needed to be torqued correctly, so if it is being serviced correctly anyway, that is taken care of.

There is very little difference between the weight of the Titan 2nd stage and the Mikron 2nd stage, so I wouldn't sweat that. Also, at least some part of that difference is the braided hose standard on the Mikron versus the rubber hose standard on the Titan, and this set already has a braided hose.

Plus the Work of Breathing will be a little better on the Titan 2nd stage (1.0 j/l) than the Mikron (1.1 j/l). Go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom