Military Fin Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What kicking styles are taught by the military and preferred by military divers? I am referring here to standard techniques for propelling the diver in the water not manuevering in confined space. Specifically, I am interested in whether the frog or the flutter kick is most efficient for general locomotion. I am defining "efficient" as greatest distance covered with the fewest calories/least air consumed and ignoring speed.

There is a plenty of information on personal preferences on Scubaboard and I am interested in actual research. I am assuming that the various military organizations have come to some conclusions on this.

with fins standard flutter kick is used.

Jeff

Are the Jet fins still the standard fin or do some divers/agencies use splits?

Is the frog kick used often or is it just used to avoid kicking up silt?

Rubber is the standard issue (US Diver rockets or Jet fins depending on command)

Some guys have tried purchasing the splits on thier own, I did some comparison testing with them using a data logger and they are faster if you modify your kick (smaller / shorter stroke flutter kick) the test was conducted on the surface. Although faster the short rapid kick increased your heart and breathing rate.

I am not a fan but some folks love them.

I do not think they are nearly as effective for pivoting (as an example while filming)

The frog kick is not often used, the type of diving I did silt was very rarely an issue. We dove ports, dams, locks, ect. little to no visibility to begin with.

Jeff

FishDiver:
I am defining "efficient" as greatest distance covered with the fewest calories/least air consumed and ignoring speed.
The SOF community relies on physical conditioning more than any other factor, indirect regard to the qoute above. Keep in mind that the "jet fin" is still the standard for all of the SOF Divers (Army/USAF spec ops, SEAL's, Force Recon). Dont know if you have ever tried those things but they are very stiff and are not for the casual or rec-diver (a category that I am proudly a member of these days!). The military teaches the flutter kick to its combat scuba divers. I am not sure of the combat support & engineering divers SOP's

I had the opportunity to try Jet fins and a pair of top-rated splits on two dives today. The jets were indeed very stiff but I felt that I had more control of my movement then ever before. I tried to frog and backward kick in them and while I can't say I nailed the new kicks, I was able to feel how they should be done.

The splits (Tusa X-pert Zooms) felt like bedroom slippers by comparison. I had completely lost the feeling of control I had with the Jets. I also had to kick 3-4 times as frequently to cover the same distance as 1 kick with Jets.

Are there any reasons the Jets would be inferior to splits for recreational diving, assuming the diver has adequate leg strength? After having tried the two styles today, and 6 dives last month with Bio fins, I am inclined to go with the Jets.

I can vouch for the fact that jetfins are great. I am a small female, 5'4 120 lbs and I have average leg strength (as in I don't lift weights or swim regularly). I would never dive with anything other than jetfins. The power and control I get from them far surpass the soft lightweight fins I had before.
I use them exclusively for recreational diving. I know several other small women who also use jetfins and swear by them.

I learned how to frog kick with them and now I use that kick and nothing else. Way less energy than the flutter kick.

FishDiver:
Are there any reasons the Jets would be inferior to splits for recreational diving, assuming the diver has adequate leg strength? After having tried the two styles today, and 6 dives last month with Bio fins, I am inclined to go with the Jets.
I never used the word "inferior" and I am sorry if I gave that impression. In any case, I will offer this anology. If you put a 10 speed bike into a high gear when going up hilll, you pedal a lot more than you would in a low gear but....it makes it easier for you to get up that hill (equate this to using split fins). Especially if you are not in the best of shape! On the other hand, the "lance Armstrongs" of the world put the bike into low gear so that they can put maximum torque/power to the ground so that they can climb the hill faster and more effeciently. The Jet fins are more of a low gear paradigm and therefore more effecient for those in better physical condition.

Another relatively small female here and I love my jets. My mediums have a nice short blade that I can easily sense the end of. I've never gotten the hang of "feeling" where the end of the blade is on the longer fins I wear with my drysuit and they tend to drag on the ceiling when I penetrate the attractions in the local quarry.
Ber :lilbunny:

PS

I was reminded by one of my freinds that "jet-fins" is a type of fin made by SCUBAPRO. That in mind, I was refering to "rocket-fins" and was not refering to the SCUBAPRO split fin design.

Back
Top Bottom