Military to recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Military Divers should be afforded every courtesy.We have dive tables today because of their predecessors. Would one agency respect anothers instructor? Of course, and the experience of these men should also be recognized. Our military does an outstanding job of training and instructing these men and women,and after 4 years(or more) of practicing and refining their skills on almost daily basis these fine men are ready to enter the water with the best of us,if not even instruct as well. I did not dive in the military ,however I,ve spent 8 years there and am very familiar in the ways of Our armed services.As far as I,m concerned that service would rate an advanced cert card from any agency.

Military Divers should be afforded every courtesy.We have dive tables today because of their predecessors. Would one agency respect anothers instructor? Of course, and the experience of these men should also be recognized. Our military does an outstanding job of training and instructing these men and women,and after 4 years(or more) of practicing and refining their skills on almost daily basis these fine men are ready to enter the water with the best of us,if not even instruct as well. I did not dive in the military ,however I,ve spent 8 years there and am very familiar in the ways of Our armed services.As far as I,m concerned that service would rate an advanced cert card from any agency.

I totally agree and a big Thank You to Mike Campbell for making such a generous offer to our military folks. North Carolina people always step up to the plate!

If you look at most of these posts they are trying to dig in your pockets. The rule: Navy diver 1 = Open water diver, Navy diver 2 = Advanced open water diver. I taught at the combat diving course in Key West and retired with 25 years of military service. You can take your military cert into any Padi dive center and receive the same service as if you had a civilian cert. If there are questions, have them call the Padi training department.

I'm new to the diving scene, still not certified but have been looking into getting one, and i don't want to be bias or anything(8yrs USMC) but aren't military divers, SEALS, more qualified compared to AOW? i mean, they dive mostly with rebreathers, rescue, demo, etc almost everyday.
i'm just sorry to say that nothing in this country is free. $35 for a c-card is nothing if u want to continue doing what u loved to do in the military in the civilian world. classes might be a good idea as well. i mean, u won't be diving in the civilian world to blow stuff up but to appreciate and have fun (^_~)

Based on the people I know who are graduates of the Combat Diver Course in Key West they receive NAUI Master diver certs upon completion, I haven't done the research so I don't know if this is based on formal agreement with NAUI or they just happen to have NAUI instructors on staff.
I would take a guess that all the service schools provide some kind of civilian cert by some means to encourage students to dive other than at work to improve on skills etc.

I'm new to the diving scene, still not certified but have been looking into getting one, and i don't want to be bias or anything(8yrs USMC) but aren't military divers, SEALS, more qualified compared to AOW? i mean, they dive mostly with rebreathers, rescue, demo, etc almost everyday.
i'm just sorry to say that nothing in this country is free. $35 for a c-card is nothing if u want to continue doing what u loved to do in the military in the civilian world. classes might be a good idea as well. i mean, u won't be diving in the civilian world to blow stuff up but to appreciate and have fun (^_~)

Actually, I would have to say the rescue level. Even at the basic Navy Diver level (SCUBA), the training surpasses that of any OW, AOW, or rescue through any civilian training agency. We did not have any agreement with any civilian agencies when I went through Navy dive school 5 years ago. As a NASE instructor though I was willing to give anyone in my class a Rescue cert for the cost of the card. Hookedonscuba2 is correct in saying that the military card should be accepted anywhere. I believe the problem here lies in some civilian shops not understanding the qualifications of Military divers.

Being a DMO, having observed my wife's c-class, having recently spoken with a number of dive shops in the planning of our next vacation, as well as having not left NDSTC so long ago...

There is someone at NDSTC who offers c-cards to students. The levels vary, depending upon which course you are taking. Generally, AOW for SC, and Rescue for DMO/DMT, and 2C falls in the middle. Nitrox is an option, depending how your training went, but you should talk to him, because it's his gig, and times change. With the advent of DJRS, the old military qual cards went away, so you ought to get a civilian card if you are interested, or want to ever do this again.

The training, as I've seen, is far and away more confidence-inspiring, in my mind. I would be much more concerned with my wife were she not a perfectionist, and did she not benefit from my training, as well as her being a doctor.

As for my experience with dive shops... well, some of them are kind and accomodating, and present such generous attitudes as you've seen on here. Others have no clue, and can be downright hostile (I know, really?). It's been a 50/50 mix for me.

Fair winds and following seas!
-Brendan

Being a DMO, having observed my wife's c-class, having recently spoken with a number of dive shops in the planning of our next vacation, as well as having not left NDSTC so long ago...

There is someone at NDSTC who offers c-cards to students. The levels vary, depending upon which course you are taking. Generally, AOW for SC, and Rescue for DMO/DMT, and 2C falls in the middle. Nitrox is an option, depending how your training went, but you should talk to him, because it's his gig, and times change. With the advent of DJRS, the old military qual cards went away, so you ought to get a civilian card if you are interested, or want to ever do this again.

The training, as I've seen, is far and away more confidence-inspiring, in my mind. I would be much more concerned with my wife were she not a perfectionist, and did she not benefit from my training, as well as her being a doctor.

As for my experience with dive shops... well, some of them are kind and accomodating, and present such generous attitudes as you've seen on here. Others have no clue, and can be downright hostile (I know, really?). It's been a 50/50 mix for me.

Fair winds and following seas!
-Brendan
Hey Doc, I appreciate you chimining in on this thread. I didn't realize they were no longer giving out the military diver cards at NDSTC. So much for my earlier posts about using your card in dive shops!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom