Military to recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver1102

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does military dive experience transfer into the recreational world of diving? or do you have to go through all the recreational courses as well?

My uninformed guess would be that the certification is to say that you've completed the course(s) and that therefore there's no recognition of prior learning

On the plus side, you should be able to pass the basic courses much more easily if you have experience - but I think you'll still have to shell out the $$ and complete the course to get the c-card that will enable you to participate in shop-organised dive trips

Probably not the answer you were hoping for; maybe someone else can clarify

I can't speak for other agencies, but PADI offers their Experienced Diver Program.

If someone has been diving for a minimum of two years and has proof of 20 open water dives, as evidenced by military qualification, they could go that route. But it doesn't gain much. They would still need to complete the Scuba Review program, the Open Water Diver Course Final Exam and the four Open Water Dives that are included in the Open Water Course.
In order to be successful, they'd need to learn the PADI tables.

So they wouldn't have to sit through the academic presentations (that are now largely shortened by self study anyway). And they wouldn't need to do the five Knowledge Reviews or take the four Quizzes. But to complete the Scuba Review program, they'd need to learn the same stuff.

Additionally, they would need to find a PADI instructor willing to accommodate them. I suspect they wouldn't save much money.

I'd suggest they take the regular course and get to know other about-to-be recreational divers, their fellow students. As Tortuga68 pointed out, the course should be a snap. And they'd get the benefit of the "enrichment" most instructors include like information about local diving.

I guess there are enough differences in military and recreational diving to warrant this relative lack of accommodation for military divers.

I'll check my book when I get home but SEI has a program to recognize the experience of military divers. We recognize your experience, sacrifice, and service and do not feel that excessive costs are called for. It is up to the individual instructor true but I for one would be proud to recertify you for the cost of the card and direct expenses(gear rental for checkouts if needed, books, etc.)+ a couple bucks for my expenses. And we use the NAVY tables!

My son serves and I would not consider charging you more than $50 for my time. You'd have to take the exams, sit thru the lectures, and such but if I had a class going you could join it at minimal cost for tuition ( $50). Again gear if needed and books. You'd need to pay boat fees if we were diving from a boat but shore dives....$50 bucks(that would cover my gas to and from the site, pool etc). Thank you for serving.

BTW I'll make this offer to any of our active duty servicemen and women who are getting out and want to continue diving. If you are prior military with dive experience same thing. If you are active duty or a vet and need a full course I'll certify you for half of the regular course cost. It's the least I can do.

Jim,
First, I want to say thank you for the support. All of us serving appreciate it geatly.

For the orriginator of the post, I do not know if it still happens, but I have a couple coworkers that went through dive school in the late 80's. When they went through, they were given both thier military cert card, and also a civilian one (not sure what agency though). Dont know if this still happens though.

After receiving one PM I need to add that if you are a vet with diving experience but that experience was more than 1 year ago and you've not been in the water since I'd like you to do the full course. So if the last time you dove was to place a mine on a german naval vessel or a viet cong gun boat you gotta take the full class!

One advantage of taking the standard recreational program is the people you meet. New students, instructors, DMs and other divers may make it more fun to get going.

Maybe the program takes two evenings, two days in the pool and two days in open water. It isn't time consuming and it gets everyone on the same page. One thing you will learn is what other divers expect from you and what you can hope for from them.

Richard

Does military dive experience transfer into the recreational world of diving? or do you have to go through all the recreational courses as well?

Actually, within the PADI System we recognize the diver training and experience that you've gained as a military diver. We cannot offer you a PADI certification just because you have received training and have dive "credentials" from another organization (the military), however your military diving "credentials" can meet the prerequisites to enroll in a higher level of recreational scuba course. With PADI we have determined that you would have the "equivalent" of a recreational Advanced Open Water Diver certification and could enroll in a PADI Rescue Diver course.

Just contact your local PADI Dive Center or Dive Instructor to enroll in a Rescue Diver course. If there are any questions regarding the prerequisite certification level, just contact the Training Department at PADI.

I have had a chance to reveiw the standards for SEI and military divers. My fees and books are if you need or want a refresher for yourself. If you just want a card here is the standard for military divers who want a civilian card to rent tanks, get air, or dive off boats etc.

I'm also extending my offer for basic open water at half price to all Law Enforcement, Fire Dept, and EMS personnel. You also serve and deserve to be recognized for that.

"SEI policies allow for U.S. Military trained divers to apply for a sport diving certification card through our
agency.
For many years highly trained military divers, after leaving the Armed Services, have found it difficult to buy
air, acquire space on dive boats and otherwise obtain the right and privileges afforded to individuals with
recreational diving certifications. SEI welcomes them to the civilian side of diving.
An administrative fee equal to the cost of processing the individual's card and returning it to them by mail will
be charged. This is the same fee charged to SEI divers who have lost and desire a replacement
certification card.
A military diver desiring a recreational certification card from the SEI must provide a photocopy of a U.S.
Navy or Army Special Forces certificate of training/ U.S. Military dive card, and a check or money order
payable to “SEI”, (Contact the SEI Office for the current fees). The individual must also provide their full
name, date of birth and current address.
SEI views this policy as an administrative service for U.S. Military divers to provide them with the means to
pursue recreational diving without having to duplicate training at significant personal cost through a local
civilian facility.
This decision is in keeping with the SEI tradition of working with the U.S. Armed Services."

I'll have to check on what the exact fee for the card is but I believe it is currently 35.00. You may also have to pay postage. Again if you wish for me to give you a checkout and go thru the lectures as taught by SEI and buy the books my fee is 50 bucks. If you just want the card and feel comfortable with your skills there is no need to pay for advanced classes to get a card. You've already paid enough as far as SEI Diving and I am concerned. Thanks again for serving!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom