Mine La Motte death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two people died at Mine La Motte this past weekend. They were not divers. With all the dangerous cliffs and drunken kids there, it’s hard to believe that more don’t get hurt.

It isn't a surprising news. We can see all drunken/drug kids at the abandon quarries. Even, they carry a pistol in public...

Mine La Motte (The Offsets) is not an abandoned quarry. It is a party hole. The kids know that the admission price puts them on private ground where they can drink/drug without much worry about the law--at least until they leave the property. It is a real cesspool, both in human terms (the partiers) and in environmental terms (the garbage they litter the lake and grounds with.

The site is also open to divers with a higher admission price. The open water area is quite disgusting due to the garbage, but it is also a treasure hunt for the jewelry etc. that the drunken slobs drop into the water while cliff diving or floating around in a stupor on floaties.

In addition to the OW area, there is also access to a series of flooded mining tunnels that are pretty cool for cave divers. Hopefully this access will not be lost if/when the area is closed to the drunken masses.

theskull

theskull:
Mine La Motte (The Offsets) is not an abandoned quarry. It is a party hole. The kids know that the admission price puts them on private ground where they can drink/drug without much worry about the law--at least until they leave the property. It is a real cesspool, both in human terms (the partiers) and in environmental terms (the garbage they litter the lake and grounds with.

The site is also open to divers with a higher admission price. The open water area is quite disgusting due to the garbage, but it is also a treasure hunt for the jewelry etc. that the drunken slobs drop into the water while cliff diving or floating around in a stupor on floaties.

In addition to the OW area, there is also access to a series of flooded mining tunnels that are pretty cool for cave divers. Hopefully this access will not be lost if/when the area is closed to the drunken masses.

theskull

I know it isn't a quarry.. Even though I haven't had a chance to dive over there, I have known the place.

My point is that it is very common incident here and there, specially in mid-west.

Hoosier:
I know it isn't a quarry.. Even though I haven't had a chance to dive over there, I have known the place.

My point is that it is very common incident here and there, specially in mid-west.

Sure.

My point was that this place is not somewhere where a few errant folks "get away with" this type of behavior. It is a party property where such behavior is advertised, promoted, and encouraged--for an entry fee. And a great number of the "customers" are underage.

theskull

Too bad it wasn't set up like Mermet Springs. Somewhere to do open water checkouts within an hour and half of St. Louis. Of course now it would need to be dredged of all the debris and trash on the bottom. If homeless people were divers they would find heaven there with all of the aluminum cans.

theskull:
Sure.

My point was that this place is not somewhere where a few errant folks "get away with" this type of behavior. It is a party property where such behavior is advertised, promoted, and encouraged--for an entry fee. And a great number of the "customers" are underage.

theskull

What???? How can they run the business in that way? The city hall or county office doesn't care about their way of business?

WOW... Stingray and myself are heading out there tomorrow and I just seen the post about the deaths.
Well if anyone else wants to show up the invite is still there..
laterz

We just dove there today. one of the guys told us that there was one guy killed on saturday and the other on sunday. One was attempting a backflip from over 50' cliff and flipped into the cliff breaking his neck. The other was attempting to climb a 25' rock and mud face and slipped backwards hitting his head on a rock and drowning... neither one of their drunk friends could help.
The caretakers or whatever you want to call them were awesome today. They gave us alot of history on the mines and even showed us some secrets on the property.. definately a do again. We talked about the accidents and are all in the same boat... its a dangerous place and you have to respect it. If you try to do something irrational in this place it will most likely turn around and bite you. The trash is picked up all the time and they are trying to make it more diver friendly.
We will prob be back next weekend.
Cyall

How crowded was it this weekend?
I agree that it would be great to make it into a divers quarry, but I guess there is no way we can bring in as much money has several hundred kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom