Mine La Motte death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearing out the tunnel between the cave area and the main quarry sounds like a good idea, but there are many tons of rock debris in there, and the tunnel is very un-sound. Remember all that rock came from the ceiling. But it would be great to be able to excess the quarry from this side, and maybe isolate our selves from the general party population.

Hey the rubble that fell was the result of heavy rains for a long period of time back in 1999. It was on the outside of the cave entrance. Nothing inside the cave collapsed.
But then again any rock or rubble that falls will friggin hurt.

AS for the 22nd... Im going to be there for a dive, cleanup dive or ????? So if it everyone turns up then we will decide then. If its just a couple of people then we will do what we can and have a great time. Either or... Im gettin wet.

Skdvr: The one caretaker said the water level is down due to some other swimming area pumping water to theirs from an underground resource.

Skull: All of the rock on the ceiling of the cave leading to the main area was solid.. there was no loose rock or anything that looked like it was going to fall. No cracks or loose rock in general. The rock that did fall back in 1999... was all on the outside of the caves entrance. It came down from above on the hillside along with cedar trees.
Any help cleaning up would be help... if its one can or a few hundred... its something. Dont get me wrong. Cleaning up 100% would be great.... feasable... NO... that would involve alot more manpower than what can be organized and in the water in one trip. This is going to take time. If the owner is up for the adjustments to accomidate divers it would definately improve the quarry. Alot of us are just sold on the idea of haveing another place to dive that is realitively close.

Over time Ive noticed something. When it comes to constructing, cleaning up or doing something that requires a group of people there is one rule. ... No matter what you plan - its going to change the day of the job or activity if even just a little bit. This is because people have things come up and cant make it.. or just plain dont show. No biggie... I generally see who shows and then ask them exactly what it is that they want to accomplish. In short... who ever shows up decides what work gets done and how its done.
cyall.

ResQDiver / Stingray1,
What time on the 22nd? Anytime is fine by me. Also, should I bring air? And how much?
Thanks,
Bill

Like my brother said, if we can get this together for Saturday the 22nd, I am in. I would love a fundive tank and a clean-up tank. I am agreeing with most in the thread that it would be great if we could make this place into a hassle free "close to STL" area to dive and possibly teach. If we can get the owner to buy into this I think that we could show him that while he would not make as much money, the liability would be far less. Let Bill or myself know if we can get a group together...

The place opens at 10 am so lets just say 10.30 or 11. As far as I know ResQDiver and I will have our own air assuming we can make it up to St. Louis this week to fill our tanks back up. We are going to be burning all of ours up in the morning on a quick (fairly quick) recovery. I'm sure that one of us will make it up there with all of our tanks. So just bring what you all will need for the day.

WhoooHoooo its on then... cyall on the 22nd at 10:30 - 11am..
Now its time to go off and freeze my butt off this morning in a pond... thanks stingray!!!!>
cyall

Cool, now if just we could get another two or three people to help with the clean-up...skdvr, SteveC, theskull???

I have two 50lb lift bags and rope with clips. I can bring them down for helping in the clean-up effort. We need to figure out how to bag these things. We can use mesh bags, but I am not too sure we have enough of them. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I was planning on bringing down some thin line and a couple floating containers to mark the boat, and anything else that we can find (some of the mine equipment). I am just hoping that they will let us mark them. Does anyone have the number for the mine so that I might ask?

Hey guys... we will have to work this comming weekend - Stingray and myself have a salvage dive to do. Sorry, we got to make money so we can afford this hobby... we would definately still like to do this but just not this weekend.

RSigmund--- I will forward you all the phone numbers I have for the quarry here tomorrow. I have them all in my dive log out in my garage.

We have a good thing going here I hope we can postpone the dive one week. Please let us know if it works for you as well. Also for lift we have all of Stingray's lift components that will move just about anything you can get ahold of.
Thanks for helping support this effort!... talk to yall soon.

I cannot go on the 22nd (wife wants to see Mermet once before she gets pregnant) and then the next weekend I am going to be working all day on Sat, and on Sun I will be back at Mermet for a drysuit class....

Sorry... I would love to help out in any way that I can... I work a lot of weekends though so it may be tough for me to get down there....

Phil

Hey guys... we will have to work this comming weekend - Stingray and myself have a salvage dive to do. Sorry, we got to make money so we can afford this hobby... we would definately still like to do this but just not this weekend.

RSigmund--- I will forward you all the phone numbers I have for the quarry here tomorrow. I have them all in my dive log out in my garage.

We have a good thing going here I hope we can postpone the dive one week. Please let us know if it works for you as well. Also for lift we have all of Stingray's lift components that will move just about anything you can get ahold of.
Thanks for helping support this effort!... talk to yall soon.

Sure, Plan a dive and then blow it off. :D I'm still going on the 22nd and will try to make the 29th with you guys as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom