Mini Season Toll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were at least 5-6 PonPon calls over VHF this morning. Missing divers in Haulover, Jupiter, Lake Worth, etc. Dive safe everyone!

PS Talking about once-a-year and yahoo divers, I have had 4 different people call about coming out on the charter boat, and none of them were certified....but all of them "have done it before many times". I wonder if they found a ride...

Isn't it pan-pan?

Yes it is. It's just pronounced weird- pon pon. Radio calls often come from French words, but this one has possible second origin, Possible Assistance Needed.

I am not French :)

Heard report of confirmed death out of Sebastian. Two boats in Key West were on fire, and three more ran aground in the shallows....hopefully there will be no fatalities tomorrow.

makes you wonder if any of blame in this lies in the training agencies and their "get certified in one weekend" type courses?

Maybe if divers had better training, they wouldn't be floating up dead from mini season as much?
No, it doesn't...

Stupid is as stupid does :wink:
---

Look at the Conch area now. One became a member yesterday, made one post "Where can I find lobster?" and hasn't posted again.

I almost decided to get in the water for mini season (It would be the first time during mini season) this year. In the end I decided against it... again for this year's mini season!

I doubt it, if you dive once a year, your skills are going to suck.
As I said to a dive shop owner friend today as I was getting my tanks filled (I dove mini-season opening day and did VERY WELL :D) people who only dive mini-season are very much like people who only go to church at Christmas and Easter. :rofl3:

I saw a few boats out today off Fort Pierce which looked like someone just pulled it up from being a planter in their front yard. I felt safer in my Kayak then I would have on their boat.

That is why so many people on the board stay out of the water during mini season.

That's me... You couldn't pay me enough to be out there today, maybe tomorrow :D

As I said to a dive shop owner friend today as I was getting my tanks filled (I dove mini-season opening day and did VERY WELL :D) people who only dive mini-season are very much like people who only go to church at Christmas and Easter. :rofl3:

How's that? The rototill the reef and butcher the xmas tree too?!?!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom