Miss Veena & Southern Red Sea diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ben arthur

Registered
Reaction score
I've booked a 2 week trip to do the Marine Park islands on the Miss Veena in July.
I'd already done a little research on the Miss Veena, but would still like to hear from anyone who has been on the boat - what's it like, any problems, any recommendations etc.

I'd also appreciate any comments as to some of the sites I'll be visiting - trip will include the Brothers, Daedalus, Rocky Island, Zabargad, St Johns, Elphinstone, Dolphin reef, salem express, shaab masur (sp?) and other sites

many thanks in advance to anyone who provides some comments

Hi Ben,

You'll find extensive reviews of the Red Sea live-aboards, WildCat & Miss Veena, in the Feb '01 issue of "Undercurrent" http://www.undercurrent.org/, These include detailed descriptions of boats & sites. At the time of those reviews, the Miss Veena showed much potential, but badly needed some systems repairs.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Doc, I don't think you can access that info unless you actually subscribed to the Undercurrent.

~SubMariner~

Brother Islands is my favourite among the dive destinations in the Egyptian Red Sea. Try to convince the skipper to spend as much time there as possible. Pther highlights in Egypt
are Elphinestone and Deadalus. Rocky Island can be very good if you have a lot of sharks. However they seem to have been more or less absent in the latest years. Zabargad has descent coral diving, but not as spectacular as Brother Islands. You should definently try to dive of Little Brothers norteast side, where the current hits the reef.
Don't know anything about Veena, but I have seen here. Isn't she a wooden boat? For in shore diving ok, but I would preffer a steele construction when going to Brothers or Dedalus Reef. The sea can be very rough.

good luck

/christian

a lot if not a majority of the Egyptian dive boats (live aboard or otherwise) are wooded so that does not cut it down much....

I have not been that far South but one of my favorite dive sites is the Salem Express. As it is such a recent wreck it is quite spooky as there is still a lot of luggage inside. Also check out the colour scheme in the dining area - is it the worst or what?!

Enjoy your trip - I hear the Brothers are fab and let us know all about it. But be warned, July will be hot - damned hot!

Jonathan

Havin' done several liveaboards all over egypt and sudan, I'd say in contrary to Jonathans message, that july is the optimal time for a marine park safari. It is a bit hotter, but usually it will not be a problem at sea. The ups of this season is the better chances for calm seas, the clear waters and the intensity of marine life.

But I would reconsider the ship. There are 6-7 steel hulled ships doing trips to Brothers and the other marine park islands. Brother Islands is not to be compared with the calm waters around in shore reefs like Panorama Reef etc. It is a fortress in mid ocean. Closest shelter is 50 miles away.

If the weather is good, it doesn't matter. But if the wind starts blowin', a skipper on a wooden boat is moore likely to get worried and leave, which will give you less diving on the Brothers.

/christian

Thanks for all the messages.

The Miss Veena indeed has a wooden hull but I guess I'll have to take my chances. Am leaving for this trip on 5 July and I'll post a short report for anyone interested

I was not trying to be negative but the 3rd week in June last year we had 40 degrees in the shade - it was just a warning.....

The diving was great - enjoy

Jonathan

Jonathan

I'm not too worried about the weather - I was in Sharm and Dahab last June and it was bloody hot then but bearable!

Re the Salem Express - I didn't think divers were allowed inside the ship given that it's a fairly new wreck (1991 i think) and that somewhere between 500 to 1200 people died. Not sure if I'd want to venture inside, but i guess once you're down there it might be tempting to have a little look around

Our skipper knew what British divers were like and did not tell us not too. We were just asked not to talk about it in front of the crew. A lot of skippers won't actually go there.

It is quite a sobbering dive as it is such a new wreck and there is a lot of stuff in there (see top para and don't even think of bringing something up) but has been cleared of bodies as far as the salvage/military divers can go which is probably much further than most recreation divers and even a lot of the techies with the limited facilities available.

Have a great holiday - very jealous
Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom