Mistaken identity: travel and deco gas mixup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ErikH

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It’s early november when a group of divers visit the Lot region in southern France for some cave diving. Cars loaded with tanks and gear they arrive at the guesthouse and unload all but the necessary gear for the next day. The tanks for the next day are again analysed, labeled and stages marked with their corresponding MOD and divers’ initials.

After a good night of sleep the group travels to the Ressel, one of the most popular caves in the region. Weather is good, the parking lot empty and the river very calm - a perfect cave diving day. The plan is to dive with trimix 18/45 backgas, a EAN32 travel stage and a EAN50 deco stage. On the way in, diving through the deep tunnel, the 32% is breathed, the deco gas dropped at 21 meters and a switch to backgas at 30m where the 32% is dropped too. On the way back the 32% is clipped on, but not used and at 21 meters the 50% deco gas is picked up and deployed for the exit out of the Ressel again.

The dive starts without any problems, although visibility in the first minutes isn’t perfect. At the second T, at a depth of 21 meters, the 50% deco gas is dropped first and just after that, before the shaft descents to 30 meters, the gas switch is made and the 32% is dropped too. Due to an error of the first diver who thought the shaft would drop too far for the gas to be breathable, the switch is made already before the descent. Now diving on backgas the divers decent further to a maximum of 48 meters and turn the dive at almost 600 meters into the cave.

On the way back the travel gas cylinder is picked up as planned and just beyond also the EAN50 deco gas is clipped on and deployed. All is well and the divers do a very conservative deco along the way to the exit. At 6m some time has to be spend waiting for the last stop to clear and after which the final meters back into the river are swum.

Back at the surface all divers are happy with the dive and enjoyed the trip into the deeper section of the cave. The rest of the day is spent relaxing in the French guesthouse. A couple more dives are made during the following days and the divers return home safely and happy with their experience.

It’s a couple of days after the trip when some of the tanks are to be topped up. One of the stages marked with an MOD of 30m and an analysis label showing 32-ish% of O2 is tested for pressure and oxygen content before being filled. The analyser is connected and the valve opened when the O2% starts to rise on the display… quickly from 21% to 30%, 40%, 45%... and stabilizes at almost 50% O2… Another look on the labels and a check with a different analyzer verified the mistake: the tank labeled as EAN32 contained EAN50.

This being the tank dated for the day of the deep Ressel dive, meant it had been used as travel gas and the premature gas switch at 21 meters might have saved the day. Had the tank been used to the pre-planned point at 30 meters, its PPO2 would have been 2.0 after slowly increasing on the way in over half an hour of swimming. Another analysis showed that the other tank this diver had been using as deco gas was indeed marked as EAN50, labeled at a MOD of 21 meters and contained not 50%, but 32% O2. There was only one possibility: the tanks were swapped when analysing and labeling!

Discussion afterwards with the involved divers lead to the point of failure: both stage tanks were analysed immediately after another, oxygen content written on tape and applied to the wrong tanks. Because all equipment was assembled and tanks were analysed on the night before the dive, no repeated analysis at the dive site was performed. All in all, the mistake had gone unnoticed and the dive had been performed with EAN50 on the way in and EAN32 as deco gas. Conservatism saved the day and a lesson was learned: don’t analyse more than one tank at a time and don’t get distracted while analysing!

My LDS requires labeling to be done on every tank while it is attached to the analyzer. Perhaps this is strick policy that should be implemented everywhere.

While this would work with an analyser that you connect to the valve, most of the times oxygen content is analysed with a hand held device that you hold in front of the valve. Good policy on their part though!
In this case fill/analysis labels were attached to the valve by rubber band and replaced with the tape. I guess a fill label that is stuck to the tank might have also helped in preventing the error - if not also removed before fitting the final analysis label.

Ahh, yes that would not work unless there was a strick policy of labeling each tank while conducting the analysis.

Here's a thought and I'll preface this by saying I have no experience doing deco and gas switching dives yet, only nitrox. But what if every tank got an alpha/numeric ID name permanently written or affixed to each tank? When doing labeling for gas content, mod, etc. the label must also contain the corresponding alpha/numeric ID name of that tank.

In other words, if you had 10 tanks that needed to be analyzed you would write down on the 10 labels what the " ID name" of the tank is. Call out the tank name during analysis and write down the contents on the label confirming the tank ID name matches. This way there would be no chance of a mislabeling error. The label ID name must match the tank ID name.

Just a thought.

While this would work with an analyser that you connect to the valve, most of the times oxygen content is analysed with a hand held device that you hold in front of the valve. Good policy on their part though!
In this case fill/analysis labels were attached to the valve by rubber band and replaced with the tape. I guess a fill label that is stuck to the tank might have also helped in preventing the error - if not also removed before fitting the final analysis label.

It should be possible to implement a similar procedure that works with a handheld analyzer. I don't dive with multiple gases and staged deco either, but I never analyze a new tank before I've written the previous analysis value on the sticker and slapped it on the tank.

Reactions: Jax
Would be really easy to label your own tanks. Mine are labeled SLC#1, SLC#2, ... with a permanent marker that does not come off up near the valve. Also useful for keeping track of what has air and what does not after dives.

I seldom do deco dives with a 'large' group, typically its three or four of us.
The few times I have we put painters tape at the neck, the guy analyzing would use a sharpie and write the mix.
Everyone claimed their cylinders and was responsible to conduct proper labeling. Typically duct tape and a wide point sharpie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mistake like that killed a guy here in the states not too long ago.

Analyze when you fill, analyze again when putting regs on...

Also permanently marking tanks for MOD (in addition to analysis tape) could help.

Back
Top Bottom