MK V filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can buy suitable replacements at McMaster carr as well

Is this the filter you are talking about? What micron rating?

9446T32
Ultra-Fine Filtering Type 316 SS Porous Disc 1/2" Diameter X 1/16" Thickness
$10.90 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 6

Only if the collective thinks to invest, past their current requirements.

Wow is right, how did you find that? I bet Awap can't find the stainless steel spring needed for a balanced poppet. :D

Wow is right, how did you find that? I bet Awap can't find the stainless steel spring needed for a balanced poppet. :D

OK, you peaked my curiosity so I took a quick look. I did not see anything in the M-C offerings that even looked close. But they are not that expensive (maybe $2.50) even from a Scuibapro dealer. I suppose we could always organize a group buy on things like springs and poppets for the metal upgrades and see if we can find a dealer somewhere interested in a quick and easy profit. I'm in pretty good shape at this point but that does not mean I would not be interested.

I would definitely be interested in forming a group for buying old scubapro parts. I have not had much success in finding an LDS that will even sell me a rubber purge cover for my 109, not to mention an upgrade kit. I am tired of being told when I ask for a purge cover that I am risking my life by opening my regulator. I figure if I am stupid enough to dive and risk dieing from dihydrogen monoxide, might as well risk servicing my own regulators.

I am also tired of bidding on old regs on ebay just for a butterfly exhaust or rubber purge cover. We are probably even bidding against each other. I find it hard to swallow that the only place I can get HP seats for my MK V them is off of a maintenance kit on ebay for $41.00. I would rather break out my pocket knife and carve one out of a hockey puck.

It would be nice if we could find someone to make them like Zung is doing with the turret retaining bolts, or find someone who will sell them for a decent price. We could also bring down the cost of O-rings, and other parts if we bought in bulk and distributed to the group based on what was ordered (even Australia for Knowone and Switzerland for Zung). I would volunteer to be the mailman and purchaser (if needed). I could PM all bulk receipts and calculations to the group to ensure that I am not trying to make a profit.

The extra legwork to distribute parts would be worth it to me because I have spent countless hours running around, calling dive shops, and web surfing already. I have paid through the nose for O-rings (much cheaper than the maintenance kits on Ebay, however) and have cannibalized good regs for parts. If we can get a list of what is needed fast enough, we could send out the parts with the turret retainer bolts and save postage. We could also make Awap maintanence kits and distribute it that way. I am open to suggestions, as I am pretty much done talking to dive shops for parts.

Is this the filter you are talking about? What micron rating?

9446T32
Ultra-Fine Filtering Type 316 SS Porous Disc 1/2" Diameter X 1/16" Thickness
$10.90 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 6

I will check when I go back to my shop exactly which ones I bought, yes they were sold in packs of 6 and were 1/2" sintered discs. I asked around a bunch of places to find out what pore size is typical for SCUBA applications. Seems like no one knows. But, I did notice that the ones available in the industry as replacements are very large pore size. The ones that came in my OEM Mares service kits appear identical to the MCMC ones. Really, I think any of these would be suitable as long as they did not restrict flow and I don't think any of the MCMC options would be a flow restriction. One manufacturer sells an inline filter and they claim that no other manufacturer has a filter mesh as fine as theirs (140 micron) But I had a local reg tech tell me that 5 micron was typical in the industry.

A couple of discs cut with scissors from different gauge stainless mesh, works very well if you find yourself with a really crappy disc, in the interim or for a very long time.
Fine in first on the O ring then coarse for a bit of body then circlip with sharp edge out of course.
I feel a bit of like Nigella Lawson.

Now Ive had my fill of professor-heads today, so, micron size is for particle size and does not restrict air and sadly not water for those of you that have not experience with schools or rentals.

Like the mesh tubes inside those stoopid seaquest inflators.

Very nice gesture Iknee. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd be in on a group purchase for MK V, MK10 and R109/G250 parts.

I'll try to make some calls and see if anyone around here would be up for selling us stuff.

I guess we would need:

- 1st stage seats
- 1st stage filters
- 2nd stage balanced poppets
- 2nd stage springs
- 2nd stage seats
- 2nd stage diaphragms for R109/G250
- R109 exhaust Ts?

What else?

Henrik

I'd be in on a group purchase for MK V, MK10 and R109/G250 parts.

I'll try to make some calls and see if anyone around here would be up for selling us stuff.

I guess we would need:

- 1st stage seats
- 1st stage filters
- 2nd stage balanced poppets
- 2nd stage springs
- 2nd stage seats
- 2nd stage diaphragms for R109/G250
- R109 exhaust Ts?

What else?

Henrik

I suggest we include all service kits for those who would rather buy the full kits. Also add R109 rubber covers, levers, duro poppets, IP adjusting washers, plastic orifice, and exhaust valves.

I'll also check with my source but I'm afraid he may be cutting me off. He complained a bit last time when I had ordered seats as separate items rather than kits. With the exception of Mk5/10 kits which include 3 seats each, separate seats are much less expensive I believe.

We probably should consider including rivet style seats, Mk2 and Mk5/10 seats and sintered filters from Trident.

I thinking in terms of a group order that may have a retail cost of $1000 or more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom