MK V filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested in getting some parts for Mk10's and G250V's. Right now I have a torn apart shiny and clean G250 graphite that needs a LP seat, and two small balanced poppet o-rings. I have ideas about where to get the parts locally, but haven't contacted them yet. However if the group ordering economics turn out fine, I would participate.

I'd be interested in getting some parts for Mk10's and G250V's. Right now I have a torn apart shiny and clean G250 graphite that needs a LP seat, and two small balanced poppet o-rings. I have ideas about where to get the parts locally, but haven't contacted them yet. However if the group ordering economics turn out fine, I would participate.

If you have local access to such parts, you probably should use it even if it turns out to cost a bit more. For many DIYers, finding parts is more an access issue than an economic one.

I suggest we include all service kits for those who would rather buy the full kits. Also add R109 rubber covers, levers, duro poppets, IP adjusting washers, plastic orifice, and exhaust valves.

I'll also check with my source but I'm afraid he may be cutting me off. He complained a bit last time when I had ordered seats as separate items rather than kits. With the exception of Mk5/10 kits which include 3 seats each, separate seats are much less expensive I believe.

We probably should consider including rivet style seats, Mk2 and Mk5/10 seats and sintered filters from Trident.

I thinking in terms of a group order that may have a retail cost of $1000 or more.

I am game. Lets find out who needs what, and that will give us a good idea of what we need to start. On the hard to find items (Seats, purge covers, butterfly valves, etc,) it would be good to get what we can. O-rings and awapable parts we wouldn't need to hoard. Hopefully in the near future you can make everything awapable.

So for starters, I am interested in:

R 109
3 purge covers
2 exhaust T's
2 upgrade kits or:

2 Balance chamber 11150102
2 Spring 01020216
2 poppet assembly 11250015
2 diaphragms

MK V
5 kits OR

4 HP Seats
5 Orings (scubapro or awap) of:
purple 147
Amber 137
amber 179
blue 144
amber 380

I can compile a list of who want what. In the meantime, for those who have sources, try to see what is available and price if possible.

Is this the filter you are talking about? What micron rating?

9446T32
Ultra-Fine Filtering Type 316 SS Porous Disc 1/2" Diameter X 1/16" Thickness
$10.90 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 6

Update, Yes those are the ones. I got 5 micron, based off of a discussion with a local reg tech. I think they are ultimately overkill for filtration needs but at our flow rates it isn't a restriction so why not. They fit perfectly by the way in my Mares and Aqualung regs and pass all of my bench tests.

If you have local access to such parts, you probably should use it even if it turns out to cost a bit more. For many DIYers, finding parts is more an access issue than an economic one.
Well... one of my ideas panned out for $36 plus taxes for a G250V kit. Ebay has G250 kits ranging from $42 to $28.50 so I thought I got a fair price... did I?

So I finished putting together my first serviced 2nd stage last night and it breaths very nice. I did the sink full of water test. With the adjusting knob all the way out, it started flowing at about .5 " below the case rim. With the adjusting knob all the way in, it flowed at around 1.75". I tested it with a Mk10 that recently got serviced and a tank at 1000 psi and another at 1500 psi -- that's all the usable gas I have in here right now.

The 1500 psi tank has 50% O2 and the reg didn't spontaneously combust on me so it's O2 clean now! I kid, I kid. But I got to say, this Christolube thing is much nicer to work with than your regular pot of silicone grease.

The hardest thing in the entire process was to figure out that I didn't really needed to take out the lever as the Harlow book calls for in its generic barrel poppet procedure. I tried for about 1/2an hr and one of the lever legs just sits in too close to the case to have the necessary clearance to get the leg out. As you have probably figured out, I did not take the barrel out of the case. I know there are 2 static orings sealing the barrel against the case, but I thought I'd just leave those in this time. I'll take the barrel out on my other G250 when I service it, but I wanted to keep things simple on this one -- my first try.

Last edited:
Well... one of my ideas panned out for $36 plus taxes for a G250V kit. Ebay has G250 kits ranging from $42 to $28.50 so I thought I got a fair price... did I?

So I finished putting together my first serviced 2nd stage last night and it breaths very nice. I did the sink full of water test. With the adjusting knob all the way out, it started flowing at about .5 " below the case rim. With the adjusting knob all the way in, it flowed at around 1.75". I tested it with a Mk10 that recently got serviced and a tank at 1000 psi and another at 1500 psi -- that's all the usable gas I have in here right now.

The 1500 psi tank has 50% O2 and the reg didn't spontaneously combust on me so it's O2 clean now! I kid, I kid. But I got to say, this Christolube thing is much nicer to work with than your regular pot of silicone grease.

The hardest thing in the entire process was to figure out that I didn't really needed to take out the lever as the Harlow book calls for in its generic barrel poppet procedure. I tried for about 1/2 and one of the lever legs just sits in too close to the case to have the necessary clearance to get the leg out. As you have probably figured out, I did not take the barrel out of the case. I know there are 2 static orings sealing the barrel against the case, but I thought I'd just leave those in this time. I'll take the barrel out on my other G250 when I service it, but I wanted to keep things simple on this one -- my first try.

The last time I bought a G250 kit (last year) I paid $18 so wholesale is probably $9. As I recall, that kit consists of the seat and some o-rings. O-rings are pennies each and the seat runs about $3 retail. Most of the ebay offerings are very overpriced but we just don't have many options. The bright spot is that seat can last 5 years or more if you take good care of your gear and store it with pressure on the seat relieved.

I dive mostly 109s and 156s and rarely remove the lever. The poppet will slip in and out of place with just a little pressure if you lift the lever to a vertical position in relation to the barrel.

The last time I bought a G250 kit (last year) I paid $18 so wholesale is probably $9. As I recall, that kit consists of the seat and some o-rings. O-rings are pennies each and the seat runs about $3 retail.
$36 is not going to kill me. But I have to confess that paying $36 for something that could run at less than $5 doesn't make me feel like the smartest guy on the block :shakehead:.

I did try starting with just replacing o-rings and re-using the seat, but the small poppet o-rings I originally got were the right external diameter, albeit too thick. Therefore the poppet would not go into the balance chamber. Additionally, the LP seat had two circular marks on it. So this particular seat has already been use through 2 service cycles. Since I needed to get poppet o-rings and my generic o-ring source didn't seem to have the right size, I thought I would just order a kit and start building a parts inventory. Also, this being my 1st time, using all new parts would take out the parts element in case an error surfaced.

$36 is not going to kill me. But I have to confess that paying $36 for something that could run at less than $5 doesn't make me feel like the smartest guy on the block :shakehead:.

I did try starting with just replacing o-rings and re-using the seat, but the small poppet o-rings I originally got were the right external diameter, albeit too thick. Therefore the poppet would not go into the balance chamber. Additionally, the LP seat had two circular marks on it. So this particular seat has already been use through 2 service cycles. Since I needed to get poppet o-rings and my generic o-ring source didn't seem to have the right size, I thought I would just order a kit and start building a parts inventory. Also, this being my 1st time, using all new parts would take out the parts element in case an error surfaced.

Those little o-ring are a bit hard to find but they are available. I'll see if I can find the thread that identifies a source. This thread discusses those o-rings. I extend the life of my supply by only going new on the top o-ring of the pair and using an old but good one in the bottom position.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/315241-scuba-pro-s-wing-poppet-o-ring.html

I can't find it now but if you PM HenrikBP, I believe he will know the source. But, unless you find a source for just the seats, you will get 2 of those o-ring in each kit and really only need to use one new one so your spares will build up.

I think this was it ... right?

Item # 40-87, All O-Rings (Actual Dimensions) on Precision Associates, Inc.

Don't have notes or o-rings handy to check.

Precission sells a huge variety of o-rings, but you need to call them to order, and the cut-off for discounts isn't exactly clear. But they were very nice and helpful on the phone, so it worked out fine. Oddly Viton was the cheaper option ... go figure.

Henrik

What are the official ScubaPro dimensions? I guess I could try to measure the oring sizing card that came with the service kit, but the tolerances are not going to be good. The McMaster Carr orings are:
Width 1 mm; Inside Diameter 2.5 mm;Outside Diameter 4.5 mm

Hendrik's/Pai's orings are:
Width 1 mm; Inside Diameter 2.2 mm;Outside Diameter 4.2 mm

However, if we applied the +/- .005" tolerance to both orings there could be some overlapping. I wonder if there is any potential performance reduction if you went with the wrong size at this degree of minute variations.

Going back to the group ordering thing. I guess I don't know what I don't know... yet. Right now with my "vast" experience with G250's the only consumables that are difficult to find are the LP seat and the poppet orings. Is this correct? If I had a way to get these in modest amounts (I only have 2 G250's), I would participate. I don't know if the quantities are going to be worthwhile, though. These things do degrade with time... I'm also going to be working on a Zeagle Rezort 1st, 2 Mk10's, 1 Sherwood Brut 1st and 2nd, and I think I have 3 Sherwood SRB3400. I haven't started working on any of these yet and do not know what is difficult to find.

On another matter, I got trapped by Hendrik's subliminal message. Is this an apex style mouthpiece? I'd be interested in taking it way from you.
Various-Bits.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom