Money while in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xoom is giving 17.3250 MXN and XE is showing 17.7679 MXN right now, Oanda is telling me 17.8783?
You are correct, my Oanda screen was still on 16 Feb from the last time I went to Mega. Still have 4k left thoighand I am about to board the flight to CZM, should last me through the weekend.

You are correct, my Oanda screen was still on 16 Feb from the last time I went to Mega. Still have 4k left thoighand I am about to board the flight to CZM, should last me through the weekend.

Tell me more about the Oanda.....

Tell me more about the Oanda.....
Oanda is a handy Currency conversion site based on the Currency trading (Forex ?) rates. I like it because my Charles Schwab no fee / minimum ATM card tracks very close to the trading rates.

because my Charles Schwab no fee / minimum ATM card tracks very close to the trading rates.

Which is where these threads always eventually end up, lol.

Once again the Schwab bank account is the simplest, most economical, most accepted, and best exchange rate for getting foreign currency when abroad.It's quite relaxing to know you have an ATM card that will be accepted just about anywhere you are, you're pretty much getting the best exchange rate there is and maybe best of all you eliminate the whole - how much to take out of the ATM? if I take out too little I'll have to take out more later and be charged another crazy fee, but if I take out too much what do I do with it when I head back home? Take out $100, or take out $20 five times in a day, it doesn't matter because the fees don't apply. It's always nice having all that freedom and of course to see $50 worth of ATM charges automatically refunded in your account after a trip.

1dv1.jpg

(Charles Schwab please send me $25 for the free advertising!):nyah:

Oanda is a handy Currency conversion site based on the Currency trading (Forex ?) rates. I like it because my Charles Schwab no fee / minimum ATM card tracks very close to the trading rates.

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were using it for money.

I might have to check Schwab. If the ATM card gets hacked you can limit the damage with that separate account. Of course the OLD stock answer was BOA. Then I got a BOA and they stopped, so you are warned...

And what do you guys do with your extra peso if you have a large amount left over?

I take the extra Pesos home and put them in my dive wallet, along with my C-Cards and DAN card, in my safe, ready for the next trip to Cozumel. I have about 300 Pesos there now, about $18. Enough to pay for my shuttle ticket to the hotel without having to exchange at the airport. I've never brought more than about $40 worth of Pesos home with me - if I have more than that, I'll buy something at the Los Cinco Soles outlet at the Airport, like Kaokao chocolate bars, or a piece of talavera pottery, or Mexican vanilla, or I'll get some Tequila or Kahlua at the Duty Free Shop.

Back
Top Bottom