Monkey Diving - DIR ?

Is Monkey Diving Considered DIR ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 78.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lamont:
Is Andrew Georgitsis the First Imam of DIR?
I dunno ... but I still think it'd be a neat idea to move this thread out of the DIR forum, since any meaningful discussion of monkey diving would violate the terms of use for this forum.

Incidentally, I am curious where the term for this sort of diving came from ... who coined it, and why "monkey"?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I dunno ... but I still think it'd be a neat idea to move this thread out of the DIR forum, since any meaningful discussion of monkey diving would violate the terms of use for this forum.

Incidentally, I am curious where the term for this sort of diving came from ... who coined it, and why "monkey"?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Me,too... on both counts.

lamont:
Is Andrew Georgitsis the First Imam of DIR?
Yes, AG the one true imam . . .death to the pervertible GUE infidels:wink:

ScubaMilo:
OK,
I was hoping to stay out of this.
Your new Monkey rig does seem to allow for a more DIR aproach than the Monkey diving I have been witness to in the past.(what I've seen was always very similar to what has been posted in the videos)
But,
The Monkey diving rig does not seem to adhere to the accepted DIR gear configuration.

I never said it does. I'm aware that it deviates somewhat from the accepted DIR single rig. That's why I've never claimed it to be DIR.

ScubaMilo:
It also does not seem to allow a diver to build upon the rig to use the same original equipment and skill set to do more advanced dives.

True enough, but I would not suggest Monkey Diving as the next step after BOW or DIR-F either. I never have.

It does require a very slightly different approach. If you consider a DIR diver scootering while using a stage, which is certainly a known technique in DIR diving, the variation is not large. Donate from your mouth and go to your backup.

ScubaMilo:
This has been a premise of the DIR equipment choice from the begining.

I agree. For me, the use of scooters has made apparent to me the merits of much of the DIR gear configuration, on a number of levels. Buoyancy control with the left hand, streamlined hoses etc. etc. Much of what may seem arbitrary at first glance snaps into focus when you add a scooter.

ScubaMilo:
Same gear from basic level can be built upon and used through to advanced tech and cave dives.
Skill set should be the same.
Skills should transfer to and be built upon for higher levels of diving.

All good ideas that I believe in and support. The skills are set of building blocks, that's why we choose to retain a configuration that would be instinctively familar to anyone accustomed to using scooters with a with a stage.

ScubaMilo:
But the consensus here seems to be who cares anyway right?

I questioned the merits of this "poll" days ago.

ScubaMilo:
You asked a question which I have tried to politely answer.

Thank you, I was getting horse asking.

I appreciate the change in tone. Much more can be accomplished without the bomb throwing.

Tobin

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't help you there. It's been refered to as Monkey Diving before I was even aware of the practice.

Tobin

lamont:
And some out there who get hung up on the meaning of the acronym DIR and can't let it go would want to craft an argument now that it must be considered DIR because its perfectly safe within the constraints that its done (shallow, experienced divers, etc). Stop. I don't care. Just argue that its perfectly safe, and I'll agree with you (technically, because I don't really care about that argument either, I just want you to go away). However, it is not DIR.

Lamont, You have earned my respect with your thoughtful past posts. You've added a lot to SB.

I did not seek this arguement, and days ago suggested that discussion of Monkey diving not be done in the DIR forum.

I made this post 3 days ago.........

cool_hardware52:
Chris,

"Monkey Diving" is not DIR, no question about it. It's also not as you describe. I'd be happy to relate what I know about it if anybody is interested. The DPV forum might be a better venue.

Tobin

Tobin

I think the original question, "Is Monkey Diving DIR?" is appropriate for the DIR forum. The answer is no, and there really doesn't have to be a lot of discussion beyond that.

Discussion of how it's done, what equipment is used, and whether it's fun, should be elsewhere.

TSandM:
I think the original question, "Is Monkey Diving DIR?" is appropriate for the DIR forum. The answer is no, and there really doesn't have to be a lot of discussion beyond that.

Discussion of how it's done, what equipment is used, and whether it's fun, should be elsewhere.
Amen...

***Mod Post***

The question was legitimately asked and answered.

Everyone seems to have said their piece and ended on a very civil note.

To allow discussion of "monkey diving" to continue in the DIR forum has no point. So any continued discussion would fall outside of the acceptable parameters of the DIR forum.

It has therefore been decided to close this thread and allow any futher discussion to take place in another forum.

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom