Monroe Dive Center - Quarry (MI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool...thanks for the info, AirBreather. :)

A bit more on the directions...

Monroe quarry is at the corner of Laplaisance and E. Dunbar in Monroe. The entrance is off Laplaisance. The easiest way to get there is take I-75 south to exit 11 (Laplaisance) Turn right (WEST) and go up about 1-1/2 miles, past the second set of RR tracks. You will see the quarry on the left. Look for the dirt driveway to a gate on your left. There is a cargo container/trailer with "keep out of quarry" spray painted on it just to the left, inside the entrance.

Paula et al.

Did you make it down there this weekend? Did they have a good turnout of divers?

How was the viz by the sunken island? I'd like to get over to that side of the quarry next time.

Retro:
Paula et al.

Did you make it down there this weekend? Did they have a good turnout of divers?

How was the viz by the sunken island? I'd like to get over to that side of the quarry next time.

Nope. Didn't make it due to the death of a friend.

6 of my friends did make it but I dont' believe any of them paid for the boat to the island. Comments about vis were similar to what I've previously heard. That it could be better. That it may be due to the work being done / items being sunk for divers to see. & that the distance to the quarry makes up for most of that.

I do plan to be there early Sat. AM with several buddies and will report back afterward.

Paula

Sorry to hear about your friend, Paula...I hope everyone's holding up as best they can.

I still haven't made it but several buddies have. Some multiple times.

None of them have been willing to pay for the boat ride. Vis has been bad but it did rain / storm in the days prior to their dives. They said getting out of hte quarry wasn't the easiest due to the wall. However they did say it was probably easier near the boat ramp.

Getting into the quarry has been the most work. Calls and emails haven't been returned in a timely manner. Every time we've gotten information from someone at the dive operation it's been a bit different. & there have been multiple phone numbers and email addresses given. Most likely personal cell phones and e-addresses. Operating hours definitely aren't regular. It comes down to going to the shop to to get someone to open the quarry gate.

I do believe this will all improve with time. They are a fledgling operation and will probably be a more traditional quarry operation in 2008.

This has nothing to do with Monroe but I will be at Whitestar on Sat starting at 9am. If I ever make it to bed!

Paula

Brandin's cell is 734 731-5056. I got the impression that he is usually the most accessible. I believe his dad works another full time job and Brandin runs the shop. But don't quote me on that.

Climbing that wall would be a challenge to say the least. We accessed at the boat ramp and at the other end of the wall there's (almost like) stairs in the rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom