Moray Eel Bites Off Diver's Thumb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray Play - weeee..

Well, on the bright side he can nolonger drive like he has a thumb somewhere it shouldn't be... :)

Give that man a Bongo drum and let him make some Toe Jam!

All around the the sandy reef,
the eel chased the hot dog..
The diver thought it was all in fun,
Pop goes his thuum-mb

Morays are notorious for being near sighted.
I have seen repeated hand nips and gloves being bitten while feeding them.
It was just a matter of time before someone lost a digit.

Don't feed the animals!!!

Mike D

h90:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/457081/anima...eats_his_thumb/
that should be in simillan. Does anyone know about it?

yep. He is a DM and videographer. It was in the Similans in Apr 2005. I was on the boat the week before it happened. He made my holiday DVD, which included another DM feeding the very same moray.

The moray is female I think. Called Lucy. Another DM I know was in the water at the same time on another boat.

Although he shouldn't have been feeding the moray, he didn't have the best few months having had his house demolished on Phi Phi during the Tsunami only a few months earlier.

I hope he doesn't bite his nails....He is the onlyone I know that can jam his toe catching a football.:rofl3::rofl3:

Again why???? he's pissed leave he along poor guy..........Mark

The eel video was posted here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=182211 about a week ago. Some people are complete idiots. The funny part is that they're proud of it, otherwise they wouldn't upload it to the web. I guess ignorance is bliss, and leaves you with one foot that makes you look like a cartoon character.

Billy

The Moray Eel video looks like a fake to me. I think you had a DM with a penchant for stupid, demonstrating it first by feeding the eel. I believe at a later time, he was involved in an industrial accident, maybe at the dive shop. He made the best of it by concocting the video story.

I have never seen a Moray deliver the biting pressure required to traumaticaly amputate a thumb at that or any other point. At worst, it might have been due to developed after bite infection that was left untreated. Looking at what he was feeding them, luckily he had his pants on!

Another Doc here concurs, that would be Doc V. We chatted about this off line.

Looks like hokum.

But, take no chances. After we're done de-stingerizing the Sting Rays, let's pull all the teeth on the Eels.

And don't fret the Trigger Fish- I have been assaulted by them several times- just flash your flashlight in their eyes... as you make a hasty retreat!

Worry about the Damsel Fish of Bikini Attoll! :jaws:

Back
Top Bottom