More from Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I've uploaded a short video of a recent trip to Palau here:
[video=vimeo;57367956]https://vimeo.com/57367956[/video]

It was so hard cutting it down to below 6 minutes!
Probably my last underwater video on my old Sony PDX10. If all goes according to plan, the next one will be filmed on my Panasonic GH2.

Cheers,
Matthew

Awesome stuff, thanks

Thanks for the comments.

Interceptor121 - well, I've done about 450 dives with a fairly large and heavy video rig in my hands with full electronic controls. Losing the electronic controls and 1-push WB is a huge and regrettable change; a step backwards in fact. This means that when it comes to using the GH2 in my 10 Bar housing I'm basically a newbie. As a newbie, this is my radical/stupid* (*delete as appropriate!) answer to your question: I think interchangeable lenses are no big deal for underwater video!

My thinking is this. Currently, my Sony PDX10 has a 12x optical zoom and I attach a Sony x0.7 WA lens inside the housing (flat port). This is very useful for filming sharks, mantas and other fish in clear tropical waters. It also means I can get some decent macro shots. In addition, I can screw on diopters, although I can't change these during the dive. In my experience I've found that in a 25-minute DVD (which is very long for your average audience) I might be able to use maybe 1 minute's worth of macro footage at most. A video of a nudibranch is just not that interesting if it's not moving, and unlike our photo colleagues I find that I really need a tripod for macro filming, which is a PITA. Basically, I only use the macro lens for night dives, and I don't think that will change. I could get an external macro lens for the 10 Bar, but there's also room to slip on a +2 diopter inside the 14-42 power zoom port. Now, if I was filming deep wrecks in dark water with low vis., or if I was into muck diving, I would do things differently. It all depends - there's no single rule.

I have another heretical view too. If you're filming in 1920x1080 but burning to DVD (720x576) as I do, surely there's scope to use the digital zoom, a bit, in your NLE without noticeably degrading image quality? I think the BBC do something similar when they down-res from 4k to broadcast HD. I haven't made up my mind which setting to use yet on the GH2. I've hacked all the options to 42 Mbps and GOP 3, but with 1280x720 you get 50p, whereas with 1920x1080 you get 24p or 50i. 1280x720 50p would probably be better for doing slo-mo shots in Vegas, but with lower resolution (although still higher than DVD).

Hmm.........

Cheers,
Matthew

I am not sure about the modes of the GH2, I have a Lumix LX7 that I just bought and done some work with a Sony RX100
I find the 1080p50 useful in macro as you can use slow motion check this one it was shot without tripod there is no software stabilisation applied the intersting bit is at 4:45
[youtubehq]DuCMkUyYiDE?t=4m45s[/youtubehq]
For the rest I don't think the 50p frame rate is really required
If you crop definitely shoot at higher resolution and crop is totally fine
Keep us posted!!!

Hi Interceptor121 - very nice video, and with a moving nudibranch too! Impressive results from that little cam, especially with manual white balance.
With regard to footage that might need cropping, I'm sure you're right - the more resolution the better. So, 1920x1080 (24p) will be the way to go on the GH2, as it won't do 1920 at 50p. Next trip is to Egypt in about 3 weeks' time so I'll test it then, and post the results here.

Matthew

Awesome video! Very nice reminder of my trip to Palau in October 2012! Funny to recognize a few of the animals, such as the grey reef shark with the 2 hook scars, and the whitetip with the bent dorsal fin!

Thanks for sharing :)

Wow.... I have so much to learn. Ohh and I hate you for having fish behave in front of your camera. My schooling fish never swims in unison.

Absolutely fantabulous footage on both videos.

Thanks for the kind words.
volvorules - the guide on Ocean Hunter told us that whitetip with the broken dorsal has been there for years! I first filmed it in 2009, but I'm amazed its injury doesn't seem to bother it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom