More from Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is so cool. What kind of light do you use for your films? I just did my first underwater videos with my simple Sony Action Cam and the difference is like night and day :)

Here's my best so far, hehe:

[video=youtube_share;io-qQKMj1OY]http://youtu.be/io-qQKMj1OY[/video]

Nicely done. What time of year was this shot and with whom did you stay? Resort or live aboard?
Steve
Thanks!
The trip was the first week of November, 2012, around the time of the new moon (which makes a bit of a difference, because of the stronger currents). As with all my previous trips to Palau, I was on the Ocean Hunter III, run by Fish 'n Fins. It's not cheap, but if you fly to the other side of the world you may as well cram in as many dives as possible. On OH3 they do 5 a day!
Matthew

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

This is so cool. What kind of light do you use for your films? I just did my first underwater videos with my simple Sony Action Cam and the difference is like night and day :)

Thanks!
Listen, with those action cams you're never going to get footage as good as with a large 3-chip camcorder with access to manual white balance. If you want an idea of the size of the video rig I've been using, have a look at my avatar on my vimeo page. Not small... Most of my footage is ambient light only, but with cameras with smaller sensors, and greater pixel density, I think you need lights more often than not, unless your ambient is really bright. I only used lighting (single Kowalski 1250 with flood reflector) at around 1'50" in that clip, but that was about 30m/100ft.
By the way, in Palau lionfish aren't that common, and we'd certainly never chop them up to feed to morays!!!
Cheers,
Matthew

Back
Top Bottom