More info on Dave Shaw's Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi gang,

Does anyone have more info on the "rare 15.5 rebreather" Dave Shaw was using? This is purely for my own curiosity. I was wondering what made it so rare.

Thanks!

Charles

Hi gang,

Does anyone have more info on the "rare 15.5 rebreather" Dave Shaw was using? This is purely for my own curiosity. I was wondering what made it so rare.

Thanks!

Charles

It's not that rare. However, you don't typically see anyone using MK's because parts and maintenance are issues and no one produces them anymore. Sometimes they do come up on Ebay. They are a version of various GE/Carleton/Rexnord/Biomarine designs from the 70's.

The Mk 15.5 uses plumbed hardware vs. an MK 15 which used traditional hoses. If check http://www.nobubblediving.com/teardown.htm you'll see Dave Sutton's teardowns of various rebreathers.

X

Almost forgot, Dave Shaw's Mk15.5 was equiped with Hammerhead electronics. :wink:

Interesting to see the updated Hammerhead site. I recently saw the latest iteration of the handsets. Very nice looking. Far trimmer than the metal version.

Shaw's classic polycarbonate handsets were loaded with mineral oil, or liquid paraffin as I remember.

On an off note - I just wonder what the intention was on Shaw's side? Why not just send an ROV down there for the body recovery? This glory to be deep, or do something special underwater comes with way too many risks. He seemed like a nice guy, but at the same time driven to do something with very little payoff.

X

Wow, thanks gang. I spent a lot of time reading about that and looking at photos.

-Charles

Here is a photo of a Mk16 for you, a very sick one at that... Poor Kevin, only took hiim 4 hours to get it back in the water.
160078877-M.jpg

160082424-M.jpg

160079134-M.jpg

Regards
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom