More Long Hose Ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your brain is the most important part of diving safely. If you are a calm and experienced well trained diver, you will stay out of panic and react in a reasonable thoughtful manner.

DIR, GUE, divers usually have more training, experience, and plan their dive with all contingencies considered.

I always do a safety check and definitely check out my dive buddy's gear configuration and demonstrate my gear before every dive. If you prepare and do proper gear checks and safety procedures identical dive gear configuration is not necessary. Two divers that are properly prepared are perfectly able to dive safely.

Dive gear configuration is not as important as good dive buddy competence.

Cave, wreck, deep are specialties which require special training, compatible equipment configuration, and more extensive dive planning and preparation.

Long hose was the most natural feeling kit change I've made in my migration to DIR..!

Last edited:
As someone who is currently recreational but moving towards (*gasp*) technical, I was very interested to read Bill's PDF.

I am curious where he got all this "expert" opinion on the cons of using a long hose? And I found it surprising (shocking?) that Mr. Doran chose to explain all the Cons of using a long hose, but not any of the benefits?

Any professional who claims to care about safety should not use his own personal bias to discourage people from making educated decisions. And any club that has such a ridiculous and dogmatic set of rules is not one I would want to dive with anyway.

I have gone diving with several rec divers where I explained my long hose setup beforehand. "If you run out of air grab the reg that is in my mouth, you know that it is working and you don't have to search for it."

You can see the expression on their face when they hear what I say and think "that actually makes complete sense!"

This thread is hilarious to me, but it's not the first time I've read this letter. Granted the letter I read was about 20 years ago and was typed by George Irvine (yes the wkpp guy), not this guy, but the similarities are hilarious.

What's funnier is some of our defenses in this thread is that not everyone dives the same, and not everyone wants same b/c, hose, reg configurations.

I agree completely. We are all different and what works for you may not work for me. It's just funny seeing how life is a cycle. Some of the types of people who defended George 20 years ago (who said you can only dive a specific strict configuration)are now defending Long Hose today. That's irony for you.

Quote from Bill's memo "When using this system then both divers in the buddy team as well as any rescue divers should be long hose trained."

How many of you have your long hose c-card hmmm? Personally I took my "long hose" class right after owd and aowd.
Now I offer the training to any potential buddy. Right before the dive I point to the primary reg and tell them, "If you need air, you take this right out of my mouth", Then I print them a card and sign it as an approved "long hose" diver. :shakehead:

HAHA! that's funny LOL LOL.

Yeah, imagine a guy who thinks everyone should have the same gear, and dive the same way, and only with similarly trained people... um... getting involved with... uh...

Hmm...

Nevermind.

:cool2:

LOL, Perfect.

I agree completely. We are all different and what works for you may not work for me. It's just funny seeing how life is a cycle. Some of the types of people who defended George 20 years ago (who said you can only dive a specific strict configuration)are now defending Long Hose today. That's irony for you.
Really? That's your defense of this guy? That El Guapo hurt your feelings on Usenet twenty years ago and you are still bitter about it today? GI3 doesn't even dive anymore, and nobody cares what he spouted off about back in the day. You might want to check if the rest of the world has moved on and you are the only one still holding on this. Because I don't see anyone in this thread that "defended George 20 years ago" that is (sic) "defending Long Hose today". Maybe it's just you?

Edit: Were you even diving 20 years ago? Or is this all about something you read on the Intarwebz, after the fact?

I have gone diving with several rec divers where I explained my long hose setup beforehand. "If you run out of air grab the reg that is in my mouth, you know that it is working and you don't have to search for it."

You can see the expression on their face when they hear what I say and think "that actually makes complete sense!"

I have a very detailed pre-dive check I run through (nothing like jumping off the boat to realize you are not wearing a mask to make sure it doesn't happen again). The last insta-buddy I had, when we ran through the list his he was amazed. No one, not even his instructor had went through such an exhaustive list. It may have been over kill to the others, but when he had a first stage leak that did not start until 100' it came in handy.
I dive a BP/W and long hose rig. He knew where every piece of gear I had was and how to get me out of it if needed. No complications ( other than for his wallet). We have kept in email and is now going to buy a more streamlined setup (hog rig) and switch to the long hose. We will be diving again this Friday.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom