Most beautiful dive site : difficulty ratio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="NWGratefulDiver, post: 8043672, member: 2872"
  • And both Atlantis resorts that we stayed in were high on my list of best dive resorts I've ever stayed at.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)[/QUOTE]

I second that and say that Apo Island was the best dive site I've ever visited in 40 years.

I haven't been diving yet, so I can't speak from that perspective. However, I have done extensive snorkeling on St. John, USVI, St. Thomas, USVI, and Tortola, BVI. We just spent 17 days in that area - 14 nights on St. John and 2 nights on Tortola (through VRBO). Airfare to St. Thomas, ferries to St. John and Tortola, and Jeep rental were quite reasonable. Food tends to be most expensive - we cooked most of our own stuff at the villa we rented and split the villa cost with another couple (was about $100/night per couple). There are lots of amazing coral reefs with tons of sea life easily accessible from shore - many start within 20-30 ft from shore. There are also dive boat operations that can take you to some of the boat-only locations.

Since I've been going to St. John so often, I'll be checking out some of the others that were mentioned - we're looking at the Florida Keys for December because airfare looks more reasonable. We find that summer airfare to the Caribbean locations tends to be cheaper, and they aren't much warmer in the summer than they are during the winter months.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Really helps us "newbies" make our dive travel plans more informed.

I think many of the posters before me made some great suggestions and price can vary wildly depending on what level of comfort/splurges you want to indulge in. For me a dirt cheap trip (from the east coast US) would be fly into Cancun, ADO bus to playa del carmen, dive Playa and the cenotes or catch the ferry to Coz. Or if I had more time then money go overland south into Belize and dive out of Ambergris or Caye Caulker or chicken bus it down to Placencia. For pure ease, Playa wins and can be done very cheap. Coz is beautiful but currents can be overwhelming sometimes, and definitely deeper dives in my experience.

I love the Caribbean, but have never been able to do it for less than double the cost of the Yucatan Peninsula. For me, the food is vastly more expensive, ditto for lodging, there is limited public transportation and dives cost more in my experience. Having said that, am going down to Curacao with the SO in December and from what I can tell seems like another good option for beginning divers, just pricier.

so suggestions for ease and infrastructure
Yucatan Peninsula-cheapest
Cozumel-cheap, great diving, some currents
Belize-mid level price, good barrier reefs, no beaches except placencia
BVI- expensive and polished operations
Caymen Islands- logistics for inter island travel, costly, very professional

More logistics but nice
Corn Islands- Nicaragua- will lose at least a full day in travel each way, minimal infrastructure, beautiful but needs planning, knowing Spanish very helpful in most of country, less so on Corn Islands themselves. (Personally really enjoyed Nicaragua)
Roatan or Utila-Honduras - multiple flights and logistic possibly an issue, variety of cost levels, good diving, Spanish very helpful

I am a relatively new diver (less than 50 dives) and surprised very little mention of BVI or USVI

My son and I have been to the keys several times and Grand Caymen

Grand Caymen was great except for the crazy expensive food

I was looking at BVI/USVI for April as I was under the impression that it had shallow wreck and reef dives with little to no current and high vis

was I wrong ?

Any thoughts on places for April?

1. I am a relatively new diver (less than 50 dives) and surprised very little mention of BVI or USVI

My son and I have been to the keys several times and Grand Caymen

Grand Caymen was great except for the crazy expensive food

I was looking at BVI/USVI for April as I was under the impression that it had shallow wreck and reef dives with little to no current and high vis

was I wrong ?

Any thoughts on places for April?
    Will they be recovered from this year's hurricanes? How about Bonaire, Curacao, Cozumel, Roatan?

Hi all,

I'm looking to plan out some vacation dives over the next few years. As most people know these trips aren't cheap. I'm also a beginner diver (AOW, but we all know that doesn't mean much).

What dive sites would you say have the best sites with the least difficulty?

i.e. Not super deep, no extremely strong currents, etc. No cave diving unless it's similar to the cenotes.

I'd say I prefer good animal life over pretty corals. Haven't done a wreck yet but honestly without penetration that don't really look all that exciting to me (of course I'm open to suggestions that might be awesome).

I like the Pacific for good fish and coral life. I just came back from Chuuk, Palau, Yap, and Guam and the coral life is incredible. There is a good site (MelodeeSea) to see various places where she went. This is her latest post of that area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdpvjExCPU&sns=em

Hi all,

I'm looking to plan out some vacation dives over the next few years. As most people know these trips aren't cheap. I'm also a beginner diver (AOW, but we all know that doesn't mean much).

i.e. Not super deep, no extremely strong currents, etc. No cave diving unless it's similar to the cenotes.

I'd say I prefer good animal life over pretty corals. Haven't done a wreck yet but honestly without penetration that don't really look all that exciting to me (of course I'm open to suggestions that might be awesome).
We have been diving several times in Roatan, we always stay at Fantasy Island. The diving is fantastic and the cost is inexpensive. The staff at Fantasy Island is excellent and you can boat dive up to 3 times a day for a week stay. You stay from Saturday to Saturday. There is unlimited shore diving as well. It is worth the trip!

I am a relatively new diver (less than 50 dives) and surprised very little mention of BVI or USVI

That is probably reasonably fair comment. The diving in BVI and USVI is pretty much exclusively about 100 feet, and most of it hovers around 60 feet. The most famous wrecks (Rhone and Chikuzen in BVI, WIT Shoal and Miss Opportunity in USVI) are little deeper (more like the 80-90 foot range) but still very manageable for certified divers.

Viz is usually pretty good, although it does dip in the height of summer. Currents are usually not an issue, except sometimes in the height of winter they strengthen. But in neither case are they "bad" in the relative sense of global dive locations.

Will they be recovered from this year's hurricanes?

No doubt BVI and USVI are still a little but messed up right now. They should be pretty much back onstream by early 2018. My preferred Dive Op in BVI says they are resuming normal operations in January, albeit with a slightly more limited offering. I can't speak with any authority for the USVI, but my overall impression is that they were hurt less badly in Hurricanes Irma and Maria (except for St Croix), so I would expect them to be up and running a little sooner.

Hi all,

Roatan is easy but it's mostly pretty fish and corals. Water too warm. Baja works for big animals. If you're in DC - probably Bahamas

That is probably reasonably fair comment. The diving in BVI and USVI is pretty much exclusively about 100 feet, and most of it hovers around 60 feet. The most famous wrecks (Rhone and Chikuzen in BVI, WIT Shoal and Miss Opportunity in USVI) are little deeper (more like the 80-90 foot range) but still very manageable for certified divers.

Viz is usually pretty good, although it does dip in the height of summer. Currents are usually not an issue, except sometimes in the height of winter they strengthen. But in neither case are they "bad" in the relative sense of global dive locations.

No doubt BVI and USVI are still a little but messed up right now. They should be pretty much back onstream by early 2018. My preferred Dive Op in BVI says they are resuming normal operations in January, albeit with a slightly more limited offering. I can't speak with any authority for the USVI, but my overall impression is that they were hurt less badly in Hurricanes Irma and Maria (except for St Croix), so I would expect them to be up and running a little sooner.

I'll be in St Croix, USVI next week - they say it's good to go. Fully back online

Back
Top Bottom