Most Buoyant Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic/Aeris Accel fins are pretty buoyant.

and they can be had for $60.-
Oceanic Accel Adjustable Strap Fins
(Yeah, I know, not everyone's favorite store, but a good price)
and they have posts onto which spring straps could fit (but then they would be heavier again)
and they could fit (just) into right sized (maybe soft, not hard, I use a backpack) carry on luggage
yes, they are not heavy duty tech fins, but they seem to do a reasonable job...

and they have posts onto which spring straps could fit (but then they would be heavier again)
and they could fit (just) into right sized (maybe soft, not hard, I use a backpack) carry on luggage

TBH, I don't think spring straps are necessary. The straps that come with these fins seem to be pretty durable and are easy to get into, plus like you said they would be heavier.

I like these fins and have no problem propelling myself wearing a drysuit, rebreather with bailout bottles. They are a little small though but for recreational/travel fins they should be perfect.

I've got a student with very heavy legs. Which fins are the most buoyant, to suggest to him?

Would this measure be expected to adequately aid in resolving the situation?

Are there other more impactful techniques to be used in tandem?

The ones that I know of and use are trim weights and arms folded out in front.

Would this measure be expected to adequately aid in resolving the situation?

Are there other more impactful techniques to be used in tandem?

The ones that I know of and use are trim weights and arms folded out in front.
Good comments, but changing fins is almost a last resort. Almost all his weight (he doesn't use much) is already being used up high, as trim, so much of it (cam straps, tank valve) is undumpable. He does not wear a wet suit, and has very strong, thus heavy legs. So, the fins are just part of the solution....

He currently is using TUSA Solla fins; I've asked him to put them in a tub of water and see if they sink.

Good comments, but changing fins is almost a last resort. Almost all his weight (he doesn't use much) is already being used up high, as trim, so much of it (cam straps, tank valve) is undumpable. He does not wear a wet suit, and has very strong, thus heavy legs. So, the fins are just part of the solution....

He currently is using TUSA Solla fins; I've asked him to put them in a tub of water and see if they sink.

I see many divers bicycling along at 45 degrees. Sometimes I wonder if they even realize it.

I'd argue that they are the best traveling fins for recreational diving. Bought mine 3 years ago and still going strong.

TBH, I don't think spring straps are necessary. The straps that come with these fins seem to be pretty durable and are easy to get into, plus like you said they would be heavier.

I like these fins and have no problem propelling myself wearing a drysuit, rebreather with bailout bottles. They are a little small though but for recreational/travel fins they should be perfect.
Cool. I did not think Accel can hand that workload. I've always thought one would need something like jet fins or Mares Volo for that setup.

I bought a pair of accels in an emergency capacity when I could not back kick with warp1s during TEC 50. So they can push doubles, an 80 and a 40. I did have to cut away a significant amount of the top pocket before they were comfortable enough to use. The silicone straps are surprisingly functional.

However,as soon as I got back from the training, I got the UTD neutrals and discovered how much better they work overall plus back kicking and they fit in my carry on.

Cool. I did not think Accel can hand that workload. I've always thought one would need something like jet fins or Mares Volo for that setup.

I switched to them when my jet and hollis fins were too negative for me and just haven't gotten around to getting a new set yet. They don't provide a ton of power, but they are able to move me around.

Back
Top Bottom