Most disturbing phone call I've gotten in a long time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What is right" is to not make unfounded accusations.
Hmnnn... I detect a dead horse beating in progress!

:deadhorse:

I guess we'll have to take Jim out back and pummel him senseless. Maybe that will satisfy the few peeps that can't accept his apology.

There's a huge difference between "I saw a DM teaching an Open Water class" and "I heard someone say that they thought a DM was teaching an Open Water class."

Way back in post 18 I said that Jim had no firsthand knowledge of any violations and was over-reacting, however I was roundly ignored.

Not just ignored...

i dont think flots gets it

Flots sounds like a champion of apathy. Just walk on by fella...nothing to see here....why should I get involved...

Rather than being QUICK to claim some sort of hollow victory with a cyber "I told you so", it's probably best to see that this could happen to anyone. Only a fool would think himself to be immune to this sort of subterfuge. If Jim has learned a lesson here, then we should all be sure we learn it with him.

That you don't see the similarities between your stance and Jim's is particularly amusing to some of us.

On the internet there are many who try to prove they are right at almost any cost.
Far fewer are the peeps who are humble enough to try to determine what is right.
Fewer still are those with enough humility to see and publicly admit their error(s).
The fewest are those with enough humility and empathy to see that they too could make the same mistake.

Your mileage may vary and many of us fit into more than one category at one time or another.

One of my nicknames in High School was "Spock" because I kept most of my emotions inside; if only I could do that eyebrow arch when playing cards.

While sticking my cyber free dive fin deep down my cyber throat has and will happen, I am very, very sure that I will never make unfounded cyber accusations such as the OP, and not because of this thread; because it's the right thing not to do. :idk:

Jeez, give it a rest already.

Jim made a phone call. Nothing happened. No pools closed. No one's out a dime or even had their reputations tarnished. The only person who seems to be upset about all this is you and again NOTHIN' FREAKIN' HAPPENED. Easily fixed.

Nothing to see here. Move on.

That horse is definitely dead and well on its way to the glue factory.

Wow!! NetDoc, et al. Your attack on flots am is TOTALLY unnecessary or even remotely professional. I am shocked!!

I have read and re-read the thread and although I see that Jim was decent enough to realize his error, his reaction was truly inappropriate and unfair and that is based solely on hearsay. Somebody's livelihood was on the balance but due to luck of action or perhaps due to someone's inertia to react it managed to save them and not close the pool in the accused face.

A great number of you seem to be unkind people who can't wait to hear something bad about somebody for you leach on them mercilessly even when there is a chance that this person isn't guilty and he doesn't deserve the lynching you have been cheering for as you have done in this thread. You seem to can't wait to hurt somebody just to make your point. And when the talk doesn't go your way, you just keep bringing up the "beating the dead horse" for you not to hear the other person's point of view even if it is the truth. You can't have it both ways.

PLEASE don't take someone's livelihood as lightly as you seem to be doing all over. It is one thing to talk or gossip in the abstract but to actually take action or cheer somebody to take action that will most likely hurt somebody or cause them harm is really mean and TOTALLY irresponsible.

I doubt that any of you will take it lightly if somebody would go to your employer or clients and give them false information that would affect your job or career and then accept simple apology. Most of you will be hiring an army of lawyers to get back at this person. You will most likely beat anything comes in your way to make a living, dead or alive, rat or elephant.

Wow!! NetDoc, et al. Your attack on flots am is TOTALLY unnecessary or even remotely professional. I am shocked!!
I have "attacked" no one. I do disagree with how some feel the need to openly castigate Jim AFTER his apology, and I don't mind pointing that out. Disagreeing with someone does not equate to an attack. Furthermore, those who criticize should be able to accept it as well.

So, you think it's OK for flots to continue his attack on Jim AFTER Jim's apology? I guess we're going to not only pummel Jim senseless, but also lash him with a wet noodle afterwards. Jim made a mistake and admitted to it. He could have remained quiet and none of us would have known any different. There's no reason to continue to rub his nose in it. There's no reason to not accept the fact that all of us make mistakes. If you feel that my empathy for Jim's plight is somehow "unprofessional", then so be it. I'll continue to show empathy to those being needlessly dogpiled.

NetDoc,

I have re-read the thread AGAIN, you are the one who is attacking just because floats said that what Jim did was wrong and pointed out, rightfully so, the implications of what was said and done. Your wording is not "disagreeing," it is an attack. The fact of the matter is that Jim should have checked his facts BEFORE he took action or even brought it up here on the board considering the very serious implications on some poor soul's livelihood.

I am REALLY sorry to say this as I have NEVER said it before in my life but you and the others are really mean spirited.

Last edited:
Jeez, give it a rest already.

Jim made a phone call. Nothing happened. No pools closed. No one's out a dime or even had their reputations tarnished. The only person who seems to be upset about all this is you and again NOTHIN' FREAKIN' HAPPENED.

On a completely unrelated note, having nothing to do with Jim at all, I believe you don't understand how risk-averse schools (and businesses) can be.

All it takes is slightest suggestion that an optional extracurricular activity might expose the district to additional risk, to make them close the pool for everybody.

Yes, this time nothing happened. Yet. But now someone in the district office is thinking about it.

"Just a phone call" can be tremendously damaging in all sorts of situations.

flots.

Last edited:
On a completely unrelated note, having nothing to do with Jim at all, I beleive you don't understand how risk-averse schools (and businesses) can be.

All it takes is slightest suggestion that an optional extracurricular activity might expose the district to additional risk, to make them close the pool for everytbody.

Yes, this time nothing happend. Yet. But now someone in the district office is thinking about it.

"Just a phone call" can be tremendously damaging in all sorts of situations.

flots.

Exactly and precisely. This was my experience with teaching at "other people's" pools. And if they close the pool in your face as a scuba instructor, you will be in deep trouble with your current students if this happens in the middle of a class, your reputation will suffer because everyone will be going around spreading rumors (as is the case here) that would be detrimental to your making a living and if you don't have access to other pools, you are screwed big time. If this is your only source of living, you are screwed VERY big time.

Last edited:
I have re-read the thread AGAIN,
Dang! This is really working you up! Stop reading before you become apoplectic!
you are the one who is attacking just because floats said that what Jim did was wrong and pointed out,
The problem is that flots said it multiple times. How many times do you have to make the very same point? He said it in post 18, and then gave us his "I told you so!" which was not needed. It was nothing short of a victory dance and I called him on it. There is no need to keep beating that dead horse!
Your wording is not "disagreeing," it is an attack.
You mean, like calling me "unprofessional"? I did not point fingers up until people started to defend their acts. But I get it: you're one of those who have to be right at all costs. This is my last post trying to reason with an unreasonable person. I'll go join Jim and you can pummel us together if you must.
I am REALLY sorry to say this
Then don't say it. It's just that easy. Why say something you're going to be sorry for? As far as I can see it, you're just as guilty, if not more so, of being unfriendly. After all, I am trying to stop the attacks and you are promoting them. Which is friendlier?

NetDoc,

While I am resisting the urge to respond to each of your points, I am seeing that this thread is going to degenerate into a 'tit for tat" personal attacks on each other, something I don't wish to be part of on this public forum. It is neither nice nor appropriate for our age. I never thought that I was attacking anyone personally. I believe that I was abundantly clear that the "behavior" was uncalled for nor professional coming from the board owner.

It is sad and disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom