Most disturbing phone call I've gotten in a long time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only two questions, were you picked high in the draft and what is the starting salary for an armchair quarterback?

I'm just careful to make sure that I'm dealing with actual facts before throwing someone under the bus.

flots.

I agree. I've learned a valuable lesson here. One of my biggest concerns is and has been safety. Perhaps even to the point of it being some type of crusade. Now I feel like a fool. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop being as concerned and conscious of it.

Jim you should not feel like a fool. Anytime you are afraid something bad is going to happen its better to step in and then think about it later. Just think how many people have sit and watch people drown because the victim was a prankster all the time to the point no one took them serious when they were really in trouble.

You stepped up when you perceived a safety issue and went into fight or flight mode. Reguardless of the outcome Im glad you were concerned enough about the issue that you wanted to try to step up for the side of safety.

I'm just careful to make sure that I'm dealing with actual facts before throwing someone under the bus.
So, as you're throwing Jim under the bus, can you tell me the name of the club involved? Of course not, because Jim came here to discuss his concerns and receive guidance BEFORE he threw any club under the bus by naming names. You might see yourself as superior to Jim, but in reality we're all subject to our emotions as well as to fabrications.

Jim and I don't agree on many aspects of training. However, I consider him a friend and worthy of respect. If you feel that you can teach better than either of us and with more integrity, then I invite you to invest the time, money and emotions to become a Scuba Instructor. That being said, I don't think that instructors are inherently better than anyone else. However, we often see things from a different perspective: one that has an eye to prevent needless harm.

So, as you're throwing Jim under the bus, can you tell me the name of the club involved? Of course not, because Jim came here to discuss his concerns and receive guidance BEFORE he threw any club under the bus by naming names. You might see yourself as superior to Jim, but in reality we're all subject to our emotions as well as to fabrications.

Jim just went completely off and was determined to contact PADI, the school district and anybody else that would listen. This was inappropriate, given that there was nothing except third-hand stories about stuff that might have happened.

I have no idea what club was involved and it doesn't actually matter.

Jim and I don't agree on many aspects of training. However, I consider him a friend and worthy of respect. If you feel that you can teach better than either of us and with more integrity, then I invite you to invest the time, money and emotions to become a Scuba Instructor.
Already did. Quite a while ago, actually. That's how I knew that barring any actual first-hand knowledge on his part, Jim was probably getting worked up over nothing.

flots.

That's how I knew
That you don't see the similarities between your stance and Jim's is particularly amusing to some of us.

On the internet there are many who try to prove they are right at almost any cost.
Far fewer are the peeps who are humble enough to try to determine what is right.
Fewer still are those with enough humility to see and publicly admit their error(s).
The fewest are those with enough humility and empathy to see that they too could make the same mistake.

Your mileage may vary and many of us fit into more than one category at one time or another.

That you don't see the similarities between your stance and Jim's is particularly amusing to some of us.

On the internet there are many who try to prove they are right at almost any cost.
Far fewer are the peeps who are humble enough to try to determine what is right.
Fewer still are those with enough humility to see and publicly admit their error(s).
The fewest are those with enough humility and empathy to see that they too could make the same mistake.

Your mileage may vary and many of us fit into more than one category at one time or another.

Boy howdy ... I used to have a friend who was fond of telling me that I spent so much time with my foot in my mouth that it got shrivelled from the spit ... :depressed: That's what happens when you put your passions in charge of your conscience, and act on what you believe to be the right thing to do ... sometimes you make mistakes. How you deal with those mistakes says a lot about who you are ... because making it right is harder than being right.

Jim took action based on something he believed wasn't right ... and when he realized his error he manned up and publicly admitted he was wrong ... both actions are, to my concern, signs of an integrity that we don't see enough of in this day and age ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You can be as amused as you like, however I see no similarity between me not getting upset without actual first-hand knowledge of wrong-doing, and Jim deciding that all sorts of people are doing Great Evil, based on nearly nothing.

You can be as amused as you like,
Thanks. I was worried there for a moment. :eyebrow:

"What is right" is to not make unfounded accusations.

Contacting the school with an unverified accusation is irresponsible and could have easily resulted in no pool access for any non-school activities, not just SCUBA.

flots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom