Most disturbing phone call I've gotten in a long time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I feel like a fool.
No need for that! We'll both stop making mistakes about the same time we die! Viva los errores! However, if it doesn't sound reasonable, it's probably not real.

Last edited:
I agree. I've learned a valuable lesson here. One of my biggest concerns is and has been safety. Perhaps even to the point of it being some type of crusade. Now I feel like a fool. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop being as concerned and conscious of it. What I will now do is check my source, check them again, and then check it a third time if I don't actually see the issue myself. This is the first time I've run into someone who thought that I should cut my cost and cut corners. And be so creative in trying to get me to do so. I am deeply sorry for all that this has caused. I was fooled and that is my error to deal with, correct, and try to prevent from happening again.

I think it takes a lot of humility to post this...and it just reinforces to me that your main concerns were not money, but safety.

Thank you!

it kind of bothers me that Jim insisted on calling the school district --regardless of the possible consequences to other instructors and divers-- to mollify his own conscience and ego. This is incredibly inconsiderate to any others involved with the districts pools.

Last edited:
it kind of bothers me that Jim insisted on calling the school district --regardless of the possible consequences to other instructors and divers-- to mollify his own conscience and ego. This is incredibly inconsiderate to any others involved with the districts pools.

It kind of bothers me that this bothers you. He did what he felt at the time was the right thing to do with the information he had.

This time, things shook out a little differently than that because of someone elses dishonesty to Jim.

It kind of bothers me that this bothers you. He did what he felt at the time was the right thing to do with the information he had.

This time, things shook out a little differently than that because of someone elses dishonesty to Jim.

There's a huge difference between "I saw a DM teaching an Open Water class" and "I heard someone say that they thought a DM was teaching an Open Water class."

Way back in post 18 I said that Jim had no firsthand knowledge of any violations and was over-reacting, however I was roundly ignored.

flots.

Perhaps a pre publishing proof read and another chapter.

Very unusually I have avoided this thread, and
is the first I have posted in without reading..

I hope you've still got me pencilled in for a signed copy of your book thanks Jim Lapenta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAnywherePhoto
"It kind of bothers me that this bothers you. He did what he felt at the time was the right thing to do with the information he had.

This time, things shook out a little differently than that because of someone elses dishonesty to Jim."

There's a huge difference between "I saw a DM teaching an Open Water class" and "I heard someone say that they thought a DM was teaching an Open Water class."

Way back in post 18 I said that Jim had no firsthand knowledge of any violations and was over-reacting, however I was roundly ignored.

flots.

Again, I said:
"He did what he felt at the time was the right thing to do with the information he had."

I don't see where your opinion of his actions or what the 20/20 hindsight shows was true or not plays into that.

I have only two questions, were you picked high in the draft and what is the starting salary for an armchair quarterback?

Again, I said:
"He did what he felt at the time was the right thing to do with the information he had."
I don't see where your opinion of his actions or what the 20/20 hindsight shows was true or not plays into that.

I don't think it takes a lot of armchair quarterbacking skill to see that it is a good idea to make sure you are right before doing something in a case like this. Jim has been openly rueful about his actions, and I commend him for being openly rueful. I am pretty sure he will be true to his word about double checking information before taking actions like that.

I think it is a good life lesson for everyone. We have all heard that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. The opposite is often true as well.

Indeed, John. It's quite easy for any of us to be critical and castigate Jim for mistakes, real or imagined. In reality, we weren't there when he first took that call. We have no idea how compelling or strident the other person was. Indeed we were able to assess the situation without that distortion. Rather than being QUICK to claim some sort of hollow victory with a cyber "I told you so", it's probably best to see that this could happen to anyone. Only a fool would think himself to be immune to this sort of subterfuge. If Jim has learned a lesson here, then we should all be sure we learn it with him.

It's quite easy for any of us to be critical and castigate Jim for mistakes, real or imagined. In reality, we weren't there when he first took that call. We have no idea how compelling or strident the other person was. Indeed we were able to assess the situation without that distortion. Rather than being QUICK to claim some sort of hollow victory with a cyber "I told you so", it's probably best to see that this could happen to anyone. Only a fool would think himself to be immune to this sort of subterfuge. If Jim has learned a lesson here, then we should all be sure we learn it with him.

That's what I was getting at, you just put it much more eloquently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom