Most Durable / Best Quality Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Did a quick search but did not see what i was looking for.

I have owned a few computers and they all ended up being junk in a few years. I've had some older Oceanic and Subapro but have no prejudgments on their current offering's durability. I've always heard Suunto upper end models were good. I know they have had versions of the Vyper for years.

Looking for something that will be operating like new for years to come. Any suggestions?

P.s. before I get all the comments on how conservative etc. I use them more for information purposes and dive log only.

Just get a Shearwater -- last computer you'll ever need.
Maybe not the last one you'll ever need, but certainly the best choice for now.

@serrada

I have an Oceanic VT3 that is more than 7 years old, nearly 1000 dives, more than 1000 hours. Thank you Oceanic, again Of course the VT3 was discontinued several years ago. The VT4 and 4.1 were also discontinued and the line is now represented by the very different VTX.

Overall, I have had good luck with Oceanic computers and service since 2002, but do not have much experience with their newer computers. My son's VT4 is our newest computer, 2013.

Best of luck and good diving,

Craig

shearwater is really the only answer to that question. I think the Petrel may technically be a bit more "rugged" than the Perdix, but I'd be shocked if you could break either one of them under normal use

I've had excellent service out of my Sherwood computers. I have their Wisdom computers and never a single issue with them.

I don't find DC 'break'. They die, generally for no obvious reason. This is ignoring operator caused flooding, though I had a few of the older hockey puck single button type ultimately flood from case cracking, a known problem but it took years.

They are generally not fixable. Unless the unit is under warranty the manufactures seem to provide a pathetic incentive (15-20% off) to trade it in on a newer model. At least that has been my experience.
UWATEC did not honor the warranty on one of their Aladin models because they changed the button shape, nothing else, just button shape. They lost me as a customer over that stupidity.

FWIW, I've had a raft of models over 20 years.
Most reliable has been Suunto, but I simply don't like them, too conservative. My wife got a Vyper Air AI for the reliability issues discussed. It has been OK for 3 years now but we both agree we'd never buy one of those again.

Last edited:
Depending on application, Shearwater and Cochran have met my needs very well over the years.

YMMV

Last edited:
Shearwater.

Just replaced our 20 yo Oceanic Data Plus's with Pro plus 3s. Great deal and air integration were the primary drivers. Also, one of them was showing some stress cracking around the base where the clear past meets the black part. Still using them as back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom