Most incorrectly spelled SCUBA brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We English speakers want to pronounce "Mares" as though it referred to female horses.

Oddly enough, I'd consider myself (primarily) an English speaker, and it didn't occur to me until just now, reading your post, to pronounce it anything other than MAHR'-eez.

ScubaBoard... peeps make it two words and forget to capitatlise the second "B". It's scandalous, I tell ya!!!

Lucky for us, domain names remain case insensitive.

I'm going to add "capitatlise" to the list, in the Chairman's honor. (I hope he doesn't use his magic to go edit his entry and make me look ridiculous)

Is it HOG or Hog? I've seen a Hog backplate being sold alongside a HOG harness.

You can travel light with a Cressi Travelight BCD.

Do you dive right away while observing the rite of a dive with your Dive Rite wing?

Do you dive right away while observing the rite of a dive with your Dive Rite wing?

You have the rite of the way in a wreck with your DR wing. Or is it right of passage?

And I meant to post this someplace in this thread, it might as well be this post: aqualung, one word, all-lowercase is Russian for S.C.U.B.A.

Oddly enough, I'd consider myself (primarily) an English speaker, and it didn't occur to me until just now, reading your post, to pronounce it anything other than MAHR'-eez.

From what I recall of other posts, your Spanish is also pretty good, so you would be more likely than the average monolingual American to recognize that, as a European brand, "Mares" would be pronounced like an Italian (or Spaniard) would pronounce it. I broadly said "English speaker" to be kind to my fellow Americans; I suspect most Brits and Canadians would know better, too. I made the comment because I recently heard a new diver pronounce it "mayrz."

You have the rite of the way in a wreck with your DR wing. Or is it right of passage?

And I meant to post this someplace in this thread, it might as well be this post: aqualung, one word, all-lowercase is Russian for S.C.U.B.A.

Aqualung

As long as I don't get left on the boat, it's all right with me.

From what I recall of other posts, your Spanish is also pretty good, so you would be more likely than the average monolingual American to recognize that, as a European brand, "Mares" would be pronounced like an Italian (or Spaniard) would pronounce it. I broadly said "English speaker" to be kind to my fellow Americans; I suspect most Brits and Canadians would know better, too. I made the comment because I recently heard a new diver pronounce it "mayrz."

I wasn't trying to say "Hey, look at me, I'm smart!" so much as the opposite. If you had asked me about another way to pronounce that five letter combination, I probably would tilted my head and looked at you funny. Maybe it's just the context of scuba doesn't make me think of horses.

I am just amazed this discussion is still in Basic Scuba. I thought from the first post it would be moved to The Pub, or at least Thumbs Down.
I get that data integrity is important for searching, but otherwise I gave up fussing over spelling in grade three. Teachers gave up trying to make me worry about it by grade five.
Spelling a brand name wrong will not impact your diving.

Not me.

I was, but not now.

Ah, Grasshopper... if you misspell "Halsion" you will find out out your diving is not being done right.

I am just amazed this discussion is still in Basic Scuba. I thought from the first post it would be moved to The Pub, or at least Thumbs Down.
I get that data integrity is important for searching, but otherwise I gave up fussing over spelling in grade three. Teachers gave up trying to make me worry about it by grade five.
I got about halfway through this post when my left shoulder contracted, and my left eyelid began to flutter uncontrollably. There might also have been some half-strangled "Urrrgghhhh" noises as well. Peace be unto you, CathyE, and dive on...but ehrmagerd...perfect spelling isn't vital?? Gaaaaahhhh. *twitch* *twitch*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom