Most Underrated Dive Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I recently caught up with an instructor friend of mine who worked extensively in the Caribbean. I probed about her favourite dive spots and one she mentioned was Saba. It got me to thinking about all the amazing places you dont hear about as much. Post what you think is one of the most underrated or undermentioned dive spot(s) on the planet!

Last edited:
Tobermorry Ontario. I have rarely heard it mentioned on this board. Toby is the best place to wreck dive (at recreational depths) in Ontario, possibly in Canada. Most divers here are warm(er) water divers, so it gets no press.

NJ

(Shhh... don't tell anyone!)

Puget Sound. British Columbia gets a fair amount of magazine attention, but we have most of the things they have, and we can see them all from shore . . . There's a dive site in Seattle that's directly across from the downtown skyline, where I have seen seven Giant Pacific Octopuses on one dive. Get out of the water, clean up a bit, and have dinner in the city -- where else can you do that?

I would have to say right here, in Jupiter, FL., except I like the lack of crowds it so far affords for the most part. We have the largest aggregation of Goliath Groupers and Lemon Sharks. There are four types of turtles to be seen on most dives: hawksbill, green, loggerhead and leatherback; great baracudda, large green moray eels, black spotted and golden morays, and all the pretty little tropical fish that people love. Add to that the drift diving (meaning no mooring marker to remember); the captain drops you off and picks you up when you're ready to surface, the gulf stream which brings in nutrients to attrack the pelagics, and there you have the makings of some of the best diving ever! I'm not prejudiced, of course. :D

Portobelo, Panama (Caribbean). My only tropical dive vacation so far. I imagine many will disagree with me, but I have my reasons.

Blue Heron Bridge, FL

Tobermorry Ontario. I have rarely heard it mentioned on this board. Toby is the best place to wreck dive (at recreational depths) in Ontario, possibly in Canada. Most divers here are warm(er) water divers, so it gets no press.

Wow, I'm diving BHB and Tobermory next month. :bounce:

Newfoundland, Canada. I attended a cold water underwater photography presentation and was blown away by the stunning pics. :)

Rockaway beach in New York. It got its own tropical fish environment, brought there courtesy of the gulf stream. Disregard the cold water, limited visibility, having to trek through people's backyard and getting robbed while walking down the street fully geared.

Back
Top Bottom