Most Underrated Dive Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Asia, I'll agree that the Philippines is still under-rated, but I don't expect that to last too long. And I agree about East Timor, though I think it will be a while before it becomes popular. Bali is not so under-rated as it was 5 or 10 years ago, so I'd take that one off the list, but I'd add other Indon areas like Ambon (up and coming) and the Togians (barely on the radar), not forgetting the really overlooked Pulau Weh north of Sumatra.

Lots of people come to dive in Thailand with the backpackers going to the Gulf to stay in bamboo beach huts at islands like Koh Tao and the more discerning divers heading to the Similans and Surins in liveaboards, so I wouldn't say that those are under-rated, but I would say that other Thailand islands are hidden gems: Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are personal favorites of mine.

I second the NC diving (Wilmington and Morehead City). It's all (AFAIK) great wrecks, with huge barracuda hanging out with you on safety stops and tons of Sand Tiger sharks around the wrecks. I guess it's considered more advanced diving in that off Morehead City all the wrecks seem to be at over 100' and you're using Nitrox, but though Morehead City this year was plagued by bad vis because of the hurricane, the Hyde last year off Wilmington was, in my opinion, up there with the Kona Manta Ray night dive.

For Asia, I'll agree that the Philippines is still under-rated, but I don't expect that to last too long. And I agree about East Timor, though I think it will be a while before it becomes popular. Bali is not so under-rated as it was 5 or 10 years ago, so I'd take that one off the list, but I'd add other Indon areas like Ambon (up and coming) and the Togians (barely on the radar), not forgetting the really overlooked Pulau Weh north of Sumatra.

Lots of people come to dive in Thailand with the backpackers going to the Gulf to stay in bamboo beach huts at islands like Koh Tao and the more discerning divers heading to the Similans and Surins in liveaboards, so I wouldn't say that those are under-rated, but I would say that other Thailand islands are hidden gems: Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are personal favorites of mine.

Quero - Yes! I'm flying into Medan for a few weeks this winter and plan on hitting Pulau Weh. Maybe try to get south to Mentawai. Any suggestions for me??

Quero - Yes! I'm flying into Medan for a few weeks this winter and plan on hitting Pulau Weh. Maybe try to get south to Mentawai. Any suggestions for me??
Yes, Jill! I'd be pleased to help you out. I've got good connections with two different operators on Weh, one locally-run and one foreign-run. The locally-run one is a little less expensive, and the lodging on site is very basic, so when I dive with them, I stay in the town and go over for the day every day. The foreign-run one has better on-site accommodation, but is more expensive. Not much goes on there that's not scuba, but Indonesia is making plans to change that soon with a focus on yachting. There's no marina yet, but if you want to see Weh while it's still in a rather undeveloped phase, go now! Mentawai is best known for surfing. While there is some diving, it's not the big thing there. I only know of one resort that is serious about scuba in the Menatawai area--Aloita--and I have no first-hand experience at all about diving there.

Yes, Jill! I'd be pleased to help you out. I've got good connections with two different operators on Weh, one locally-run and one foreign-run. The locally-run one is a little less expensive, and the lodging on site is very basic, so when I dive with them, I stay in the town and go over for the day every day. The foreign-run one has better on-site accommodation, but is more expensive. Not much goes on there that's not scuba, but Indonesia is making plans to change that soon with a focus on yachting. There's no marina yet, but if you want to see Weh while it's still in a rather undeveloped phase, go now! Mentawai is best known for surfing. While there is some diving, it's not the big thing there. I only know of one resort that is serious about scuba in the Menatawai area--Aloita--and I have no first-hand experience at all about diving there.

Yeah I want that unseen Indonesia feel! That's so far away from Bali/Lombok. Thanks for the tips. Which of the two do you prefer to dive with? The locally run?

paradisedivetours.com
rubiahdivers.com
Are the two dive centers I found online?

And rasaseniresort.com
pulauwehresort.com

thanks for the help!

Very few divers outside of BC know about it but Pavilion Lake is our hidden treasure. It is a 4 hour drive from Vancouver and it contains microbialites, a relatively rare and ancient life form. It looks like hard coral and grows into amazing formations.

The lake itself is slightly alkali so the water is very clear. NASA and the Canadian Space Agency use the lake for scientific research purposes but there are 3 sites for diving.

Check out the website and, if you are coming to BC for a diving trip, try and include this as a destination.
Pavilion Lake Research Project

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom