Most Underrated Dive Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll say! I've actually dived Martinique and was blissfully unaware of the historic wreck diving. Based on a half-dozen dives I did with Club Med in the late '80s, I'd say that the reef diving is unremarkable. The Francophones we encountered were not particularly nasty, though, I'm happy to report.

I think most of them only really became viable as tec diving opened up the deeper sites.
Saint-Pierre Wreck Dives Offer Undersea Journey to Martinique’s Storied Past | Uncommon Caribbean

what about Banco Chinchorro off Mahahual, Mexico? Virtually unknown and undived. Maybe it should be kept that way.

what about Banco Chinchorro off Mahahual, Mexico? Virtually unknown and undived. Maybe it should be kept that way.
Plenty of people dive there from day boats already. Explorer Ventures is putting a liveaboard out there beginning in September.

Vero Beach, Lauderdale by the Sea, and many spots down to the keys. Plenty of great shore diving sites and as other posters commented, turtles, sharks and lots of colorful fish are all around.

I agree about Saba, for the Carib I would also add Montserrat which I feel is still recovering from volcanic eruption.

My backyard is the Sea of Cortez and I think a lot of people dive Cabo, but far north the diving is good - whale sharks in summer, huge mantas, whales, makos, hammerheads in fall. A little tourist town called San Carlos is driving distance from Phoenix and it has grown quite a bit in the last couple decades, but I think still pretty ignored. I have lots of happy memories there.

I wouldn't necessarily call them dive "destinations," but I had a great time (and saw some rare animals) in both Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, MX and Montego Bay, Jamaica. Went on both vacations for other reasons (wedding and a concert) and was pleasantly surprised to find more than acceptable diving in both locations, with Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo being especially impressive.

Most underrated is Jamaica. You go down there, it is like going to a zoo. Much of the nice fish are in cages for you to see. No need to search in holes or crevices.

I recently caught up with an instructor friend of mine who worked extensively in the Caribbean. I probed about her favourite dive spots and one she mentioned was Saba. It got me to thinking about all the amazing places you dont hear about as much. Post what you think is one of the most underrated or undermentioned dive spot(s) on the planet!

There is some outstanding diving around Puerto Escondido in Mexico and when I was there with a friend of mine 10 years ago or so there was exactly 1 - count 'em - 1 diveshop there...and he didn't even have a boat. We had to arrange transport to the dive sites by talking to local fishermen but the dives themselves were outstanding.

There isn't much coral there but you'll see a lot of tropical fishes and large schools of fish, turtles, the whole shebang. During our safety stop on one dive a school of large tuna zipped past us at high speed a few metres away. It was such a large school that the scene lasted for almost the whole time we were hanging.

We also just missed seeing a couple of Orcas. the guys on the boat saw them while we were under water but we didn't see them during the dive.

The nicest thing about Puerto Escondido is that it's a really nice place to be top-side too. There's lots of (body) surfing to be done and the beach is fantastic for just hanging around.

R..

I really enjoy diving the Channel islands. Ton of diversity, and life just everywhere. We saw Lemon and Soupfin sharks in 10' of water, Octopus, sea-lion, harbor seals, tons of fish variety and 7 types of nudibranch (but we missed a lot I am sure). The kelp and plant life was amazing and we saw a pod of 100+ dolphins and pups (topside).

CA is a cheap dive if you live in the states. Cold but very worthwhile.

I'll throw in a couple that haven't come up so far...

East Timor-awesome muck/macro diving, have seen rhinopias each time I've been. Also pristine reefs with additional chances for big stuff at Atauro and others..even a fair chance at a dugong. All while being the only divers at any site you go to.

Malapascua in the Philippines...by far my fav destination in the country for its combination of big and small. Threshers at Monad, possibilities of mantas and hammerheads at Kemod and reef sharks at Gato...awesome macro..consistently so many frogfish and nudis...along with two of the best night dive sites you could possibly ask for

Bali-I think the most underrated diving in Indo. World's most reliable place for molas in season, mantas at Nusa Penida..but especially for some of the best macro/muck diving anywhere in Tulamben/Seraya, PJ, and Secret Bay. Some of the best locations for nudibranchs you will find anywhere in the world

Back
Top Bottom