Most Underrated Dive Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Caribbean, Saba does fly under the radar, but the real unknown gem is Martinique. Because it filled with nasty French speaking people whose websites don't show up on English search engines, most people are blissfully unaware of the historic wreck diving available there.
I'll say! I've actually dived Martinique and was blissfully unaware of the historic wreck diving. Based on a half-dozen dives I did with Club Med in the late '80s, I'd say that the reef diving is unremarkable. The Francophones we encountered were not particularly nasty, though, I'm happy to report.

nate_2-1.jpg

The Francophones we encountered were not particularly nasty, though, I'm happy to report.

I have an I-Phone 4. Works great. Made in China I'd guess. Better than anything made by Frank.

I have an I-Phone 4. Works great. Made in China I'd guess. Better than anything made by Frank.
Easy to say now, but in 1987 you would have happily dropped your French Franc into the slot of the nearest Francophone® to make a call.
:wink:

Seychelles

Eye of the Needle, Saba; Diamond Rock Martinique; Back side of Molokini Hawaii; Night Manta Ray Dive, Kona Hawaii;

German Channel,Blue Hole and Pelilieu Drift: Palau; Blackbird Cay, Belize. The Double world war wreck, Guam

The Kona night Manta dive is actually world famous, but must be mentioned because it is so much better than expected.

The list can go on and on- just depends on what is considered undermentioned. Good Luck DD

South Africa

North Carolina. NC's drawback is the fairly long boat rides.

Seychelles

Blue Heron Bridge, FL

The Philippines.

NJ

(Shhh... don't tell anyone!)

Portobelo, Panama (Caribbean). My only tropical dive vacation so far. I imagine many will disagree with me, but I have my reasons.

Good old Pensacola & Orange Beach.

Los Angeles maybe, or Santa Monica
Bill

Philippines

South Africa

What makes them great? Are they better than Cozumel? Great Barrier Reef? Catalina Island? Long Island? What can you expect to see there? Any pelagics? Sharks? Intact wrecks? Is the diving more convenient? Cheaper? Are the accommodations exceptional? Are there great non-diving activities? Details guys, details!

South Africa

Cold Water Ocean
Warm Water Ocean
Sharks
Soft Coral
Hard Coral
Pelicans
Wrecks
Cheap with great accommodation
Safari's
Deserts
Forests
Mountains
Wine farms
Caves
Beef & Beer
...and, and and. I can go on and on.

Fair question.

Pensacola: Fun city, great beaches, Naval Air Museum. Good inexpensive boat dives, wrecks both intentional and "real", including the Oriskany these days. Not much for reefs, but good for wrecks and fish. The "Russian Freighter" is a museum of an old reciprocating steam engineroom, with three huge firetube ("Scotch") boilers presiding over the wreck.

If weather at sea is a blowout, Vortex or Morrison springs not that far away.

There you go.....

If Pensacola's anything like Panama City, then I'd agree. I never had heard much about PC ... or given any thought to diving there, really ... until about three months ago. Now that I've done a couple dives there, I'd say it's definitely worthwhile ... and I'm told there are even better dives than the two that we did. Most folks, when they think of Florida, think of the caves and the Keys. I think the panhandle often gets overlooked ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom