Moustaches and mask flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried the petroleum jelly once and hated it. None of the masks I ever tried or used had a good seal, but in no way did that interfere with diving. Once deeper there is little to no leak, no problem. I use the water to slosh it around then clear the mask, it makes for a nice clear view.

I shave a small strip - without I have a continuous small trickle. Not a big deal but it does get irritating to always have some water in my mask. I much prefer no water at all. YMMV

I finally figured out why my mask would start to leak after the third dive of the day - used to drive me crazy. Third dive - sometimes the fourth I would start to get a small leak. Found that touching up the strip fixed it.

+1 on the try many masks suggestion.

Full beard and moustache here, working on an even fuller Civil War era one now. I do not trim under my nose and contrary to some other posters, I have found over time that it's actually when my 'stache is trimmed and more stubbly that I have more leak problems; when it's longer it seems to "lay flat" and provide a better seal.

I would not use petrolatum or any other oil-based substance on a silicone mask. However, what I have found to be just about perfect is the Silicone Mask Seal sold by Dive Right In Scuba.

It's simply a medium-weight silicone paste, but it's just right for sealing a mask on your face with the right amount of "stiction", and it absolutely will not harm your silicone mask skirt. Just a pea-sized dab spread around my 'stache just under my nose - along with the thin layer I always put around the rim of my mask - puts a stop to most of the leaking, and one application lasts 2-4 dives. By then what hasn't washed away naturally comes off quickly with just a little soap & water.

It comes in a small jar that will last easily 50 dives, maybe twice that depending on how much you use, and it's small enough to keep in my mask case. It has no smell whatsoever.

Of course, first you should definitely try on as many masks as possible to find the right fit. With masks, that should be the #1 priority.

Did you find a solution to the problem? I had the same issue and talked to my dive shop guys, they all have some sort of hair on the face. They all smiled - one guy walks over to the shelf and brings back a stick, looks like chap stick but it's not. It is called "Mask Seal" by Trident. My upper lip gets bushy and then trimmed short at times. This stuff works great at all stages of growth for me. It washes off with warm water and soap but has no smell or any funky chemicals in it. Turns out the day I picked this stuff up it was the last tube on the shelf. The user might be tempted to slather it on (I did the first time) but you do not need to. Now I apply a light coat to the stash and rub it in and that holds a seal for me. Wipes off the mask seal with a rag. Cost like 3 buck a stick.
Just reading the directions again - don't get it in your eye! :0

Last edited:
I see you are going for your OW Cert... Great and it will be fun for the both of you. Be sure to come back on let us know how it goes, let me know if you find another method of sealing the mask too. Good times are ahead... My daughter is in the classroom phase for her OW. She does not need any mask seal... :D

I have a very short beard that I keep mowed down to stubble, like I haven't shaved in a few days. I find that even this keeps my mask leaking. When I've going diving I shave.

haha... I've recently grown a beard and now have this problem :(

i keep mine short and trim it the night before a dive with my clippers... this seems to minimise the problem.

i dont have probs with the mustache,but if i don't keep my cheeks clean shaven..
leaks!
depends a lot on mask,but my flat face works the same with about them all
good luck
yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom