Mouthpiece detached - video clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are definately lessons learned when in an OOA situation. Sometimes training will kick in sometimes not. It's really easy to be a side line quarterback in this situation and say she should have this or that. The chances of her being a new diver is probibally true. I have a situation with a very experienced diver with over 300 dives and we were taking pictures and we generally will take our regs out of our mouth for the camera opp and he let go of his and after the picture he paniced. He went through the same stages of panic as this woman. I shoved my secondary in his mouth then he found his regulator. I still believe in any situation that is delt that we have all been taught the right way but there is no wrong way as long as everyone surfaces and your all safe. I still get sceptics and critisism on my dive in the bahamas that I delt with another OOA situation at 150 ft. But the end result is everyone is OK. YouTube - Scuba Diving Accident Intervention Bahamas 12/04/08 HD

I have a situation with a very experienced diver with over 300 dives and we were taking pictures and we generally will take our regs out of our mouth for the camera opp and he let go of his and after the picture he paniced. He went through the same stages of panic as this woman.

I still get sceptics and critisism on my dive in the bahamas that I delt with another OOA situation at 150 ft. But the end result is everyone is OK. YouTube - Scuba Diving Accident Intervention Bahamas 12/04/08 HD

Reg retrieval is a critical skill that doesn't seem to get practiced beyond formal training. At least once on every dive trip (usually the first or second dive), everyone in my group switches to their octo and back. Everyone I dive with has either an integrated octo or keeps it on a necklace (surgical tubing)

I just used that video for teaching points in a class the other day. Truly amazing! My teaching points were: Ref other divers - Situational awareness; dive your plan. Ref the rescue - stay within your capabilities! What depth are you comfortable, what nitrox mix are you using, what are your other options, IS THIS THE FIRST TIME you've thought about how to handle this situation?

IS THIS THE FIRST TIME you've thought about how to handle this situation?

Was that a question for me or was that a question that you ask your students? I think the more the video is shown to new divers and divers in general that it will make people think twice about diving out of limits. Or create a limit and never go beyond that point without a more experienced "Competant" diver with them.

I've had this happen before as well. It was kind of bizarre...one minute, I'm breathing fine, the next, I've got my reg dangling free in front of me (sans mouthpiece).

However, this video does show why it's best to have your own primary on a 6' hose (not your octo). People panicking will generally grab for whatever is most available to them. Let them grab it...just be sure you know where your own octo is.

Last edited:
There are definately lessons learned when in an OOA situation.

Well yea. But "my moutpiece fell off" isn't an OOA situation. It's just a stupid mouthpiece. Go to your octo.

-Charles

This is why I ALWAYS melt the end of my zip ties with a lighter to form a round "Lock" so the zip tie cannot come undone. I do this with any zip ties I use for my diving, it's a good secondary security.

This is why I ALWAYS melt the end of my zip ties with a lighter to form a round "Lock" so the zip tie cannot come undone. I do this with any zip ties I use for my diving, it's a good secondary security.

Interesting, I melt the ends of knots but haven't heard of this being done with zip-ties. I do put a dab of superglue into the zip-tie clasp to the same effect though. I haven't had a mouthpiece fall out, but I wonder if it happens more due to the zip-tie breaking or just not being tight enough.

Was that a question for me or was that a question that you ask your students? I think the more the video is shown to new divers and divers in general that it will make people think twice about diving out of limits. Or create a limit and never go beyond that point without a more experienced "Competant" diver with them.
My comment was referring to the rescue, and my teaching points to would be rescuers....If a diver encounters a situation not previously considered/practiced/discussed, they are already behind and can easily get themselves (or others) in trouble trying to help (see other thread on San Diego Fatality). Clearly you were comfortable with the intervention and everything that involved (beyond recreational depth, air status, deco status etc). Hopefully the two in the video understand you are the only reason they are alive!

Interesting, I melt the ends of knots but haven't heard of this being done with zip-ties. I do put a dab of superglue into the zip-tie clasp to the same effect though. I haven't had a mouthpiece fall out, but I wonder if it happens more due to the zip-tie breaking or just not being tight enough.

My primary second stage's mouthpiece fell off when I was doing a deep dive about six weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't tighten the zip-tie properly or melt the edges the way I should have. But I was too excited...you see, I received a new Atomic regulator (a pre-loved rig that had been rebuilt by a friend) as a birthday gift, so I quickly attached a comfo-bite mouthpiece to the primary second stage before dashing off to make the dive. I jumped into the water, and it was bliss. As I was revelling in being able to breathe prroperly at depth (I had the crappiest unbalanced second stage reg before), I found myself sucking water. Blech. Imagine my chagrin as I switched to my octo which (if anything) performed worse at depth than my old primary second stage ever did. I was so steamed. I finished the dive without issue, but I must admit I spat out the octo out on a few occasions and took a few folorn sips from the Atomic that was clipped off to my chest D-ring. :dork2: Suffice it to say that the zip-tie on my mouthpiece is as now battened down as possible!

Zip-ties are very secure by their own nature of design..I'm not sure why you feel the extra melting of the end is required. However, the problem lies when they are not as fully cinched as much as they should be. Therein lies the problem...for reg mouthpieces, you have to secure the sh&t out of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom