Mouthpiece options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neevo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I'm getting back in to regular diving I'm getting all my gear in top order. I have an Apex ATX200 primary setup and ATX50 octopus and it's only really dawned on me that the mouthpiece on my second stage gives me issues.

The problem is with the moulding on the mouthpiece, even when holding it gently in my mouth, the part that touches the gums on the outside has a tendency to cut my gums through the constant movement and as my gums are relatively soft.

Thinking of trying a different option for the mouthpiece and keen to hear some brands/models to try.

This is the reg I'm talking about and mouthpiece.

Attachments

• IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 123
is that the comfobite? you can use just about any mouthpiece on the second stages. The Apeks uses a slightly larger opening than most other regulators, so anything will stretch over the opening *it's like 1/16" of an inch stretch, not that big*, so go find a mouthpiece you like and stick it on there.

personally, I much prefer the comfobites to any other mouthpiece, but that's just me

I use Seacure, the moldable mouth piece. They are awesom easy on my mouth.

That's what I found. Are they really that good. Seems like the ability to mold it means it won't move much, which seems to be the problem I'm having. Excess movement against my gums causing cuts.

Go to your LDS, or a DS with lots of different mouthpieces if your LDS doesn't have a bunch. They don't have to be mounted on regulators. Try them all. Pick one that's comfortable in your mouth and install it on your octo.* Declare victory!

For me, the Sherwood mouthpiece is most comfortable, better even than my SeaCure, which I no longer use. I have them on most of my regs, though some have mouthpieces that are almost as good that I've yet to replace. Everyone's mouth is different, though, so like masks, you need to see what fits. Your mileage *will* vary.

John

* Get the wire tie tight. On some regs, it has to be tighter than you might think to make sure it stays put. And get flush-cutting pliers so there is no sharp piece sticking out out of the wire tie.

Seems like the ability to mold it means it won't move much, which seems to be the problem I'm having.
They don't move at all. Very easy to keep the reg in your mouth as the impressions for each tooth is a huge grip all by itself. I have one each on my main and octo.

* Get the wire tie tight. On some regs, it has to be tighter than you might think to make sure it stays put. And get flush-cutting pliers so there is no sharp piece sticking out out of the wire tie.

When I use those style ties (I prefer the SP "cam style"), I'll burn the end with a lighter and smash it down so there is no sharp tag end. The other thing is not to cut it, but to grasp it with pliers (in the same axis) and twist it until the end breaks off. That leaves no sharp edge. An electrician taught me that... you want nothing sharp in a cabinet.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom