Must read -- the Six Skills by Steve Lewis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Five years ago, I discovered diving boards, and on one of them, I read an essay by a guy named Doppler, on the shape of the decompression curve. The essay was extremely well written and very thought-provoking. I have taken care to read anything Steve Lewis has written since then, and have always learned something. So I had very high expectations, when I heard he was putting out a book on diving, and ordered it before it was even available. Three days ago, I got my copy, and here's the Cliff Notes version of the review: Buy it, and read it. It's up there with Mark Powell's Deco for Divers on the list of things I think every (not just technical) diver should own.

As I expected from Steve, the book is well written and very entertaining, pitched with a delightfully British self-deprecatory wit. But it is also a very interesting approach to organizing the requirements for a good technical diver -- not at all what you may have heard from your instructors, or from other reading materials. I love people who make me take a look at what I am doing from a 90 degree different slant, and I love even more simple conceptual scaffoldings from which to hang my understanding of things. The book is full of "I never thought about that in quite that way" moments, beginning with Steve's criteria for passing one of his technical classes, which I don't think would have been articulated in quite that way by anyone from whom I have taken diving lessons.

It IS, definitely, a book written for technical divers, and that's who Steve teaches. But I think there are a lot of thought-provoking things that would be of interest to the avid recreational diver, in terms of skill analysis. And it's a delightful read.

I have two small criticisms. One is that the book could have been better proofread. And the other is that it is clearly compiled from other articles or lectures and shows it, and that's a little sad, because I think a small amount of careful editing could have made it flow more beautifully as a cohesive whole. But these are minor issues.

And I should mention that the book is beautifully illustrated with black and white and color photographs, some of which are pictures from our own Ben M!

Thank you for the feedback Lynne. Appreciate it.

When we compiled the contents of the book, the target audience certainly was the technical crowd, especially those starting out but old veterans too. However, as you've noted, many of the concepts and "knowledge nuggets" seem to hit a nerve with sport divers and certainly anyone truly interested in being more aware of the risks of all sorts of diving and how to manage them.

I was extremely lucky with the help I got from several great photographers, including Amanda Cotton, Thaddius Bedford, and of course Ben, whose pictures in various caves really made great chapter openers. Thankful to Jill Heinerth, John Chatterton and Michael Menduno for their help too.

Thanks for the review Lynne. I'm looking forward to seeing a copy.

+1 on a great book! I agree that there is a lot for non-technical divers.

I have also been reading the Six Skills and am liking it a lot. There is plenty for recreational divers in there. It is one of those books that makes you stop, look at what you are doing, have done, or are thinking about doing and go "wait a minute", I need to take another look at this.

I actually appreciate being able to see where the compilations are. Having just gone through this myself, getting a compilation of work over just the last 3-4 years was was very tough and Lynn is correct about editing, but at the same time I think some of it also indicates the amount of real work that went into developing those items. The time, the research, the actual diving to test things to make sure they won't hurt your students! I am convinced that sitting down and just writing from the top of your head is much easier than taking pieces of knowledge gained over a long period of time and putting them in a readable, flowing manner is very hard. Styles change, attitudes mature, and it shows. Anybody think it's not give it a try! You at times look at it and want to rip your own hair out trying to figure out what you just said.

Steve's book shows a dedication to diver safety, competence, skill, and the value of keeping an open mind and not getting locked into one style. Because that doesn't work for everyone. I get a keen sense of being able to adapt, while not going full goose bozo, is critical for the tech diver. And ya know what? It is for the recreational one as well. That's why comprehensive training with lots of task loading to build muscle memory as I gather from Steve's work for the technical diver is good advice and practice for the recreational one as well.

I have not finished it as a bunch of other stuff is going on but I will be taking it to Scubafest with me this weekend. And since Steve will be there I hope we get to sit down and compare notes, talk shop, and maybe, just maybe figure out if I can get a class in with him this year!

Last edited:
Which 6 skills?

An excerpt from the website doesn't detail the exact skills, but mentions some of the topics covered.

The topics covered include: A definition of Technical Diving and what to expect from a tech diving course; Buoyancy, the force that opposes gravity; Trim, the streamlined approach to diving; The skill of movement and position;, Breathing, beyond the standard advice not to hold your breath; Situational awareness, the chess master’s skill; Emotional control; Dive execution, equipment configuration, doing what works; The deco curve, Accident analysis, and chalking the foul lines, and more.

Should we expect the kindle edition anytime soon?
I am sure I will order the paperback for my shelf, but I do love using my kindle.

The hold up with Kindle is that I have to get a US tax number... in the process now.

The hold up with Kindle is that I have to get a US tax number... in the process now.

That's good news. In addition to your's there are quite a few books and articles that I'd very much like to have in an electronic format, in my case for an iPad. It would be nice to see more dive related volumes in digital format.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom