Mustache Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 to mask fit... I don't do anything with my stache except allow people to admire it.

vaseline_pure_petroleum_jelly_26262.jpg
works for my buddy.

Ive had a very good Mustache since 1960 when i turned three, im a very expert diver with 15 dives under my weight belt :cool2: and find that i do get leakage but i also seem to exhale a lot thru my nose while diving and it seems to keep my mask clear, ive also never had a problem with mask squeeze.:D

I've been told that Vaseline will damage the silicone mask skirt. The product you are seeking is Silicone grease available anywhere that sells dive supplies - also used on many O-rings.

It's all in the mask, with a good fit preventing leaks. I have a bushy mustache and don't do any trimming, silicon, etc. and don't experience any leaks. It does help to offer mustache rides immediately prior to diving to slick down the hair, but I never get any takers.

I will have to remember to try this. I also dive a stache and just got good @ clearing a mask and expect the dang thang will leak.

It's all in the mask. I have a beard that I trim at various intervals (from a week to 2 months+), my mask doesn't leak, but I do have another mask that is leaky, so make sure you get a mask that fits you.

I have what most people refer to as a goatee, but what is really a Vandyke. I shave a very narrow spot under my nose and have no problems. I have a good silicone mask and the few times I have forgotten to shave it leaked very very little. I agree with the mask fit and quality as much as any. but having a spot of bare skin to seal against won't hurt.

+1 for good mask fit...

I tried trimming, tried silicone grease (and Don's right, Vaseline doesn't play well with a silicone skirt), and finally found a good fitting mask, with a very soft, high quality, silicone skirt ended the issue...

I need to trim a bit to get things under control as a first step.
In cold water I still get some leakage but I can deal with clearing the mask as needed.
I've found chapstick makes an excellent sealant.

Back
Top Bottom