Mustache Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have a trimmed goat. I will experiment this weekend in the pool. Better there than on an actual dive. I plan on trying nothing at all except the mask, clear a thin line at the top, and then maybe a sealant of some sort. Will post an update.

I just dealt with it for five years. Now its a clean lip for me.....

I never have any issues either, good mask fit is the solution.

Met a guy last June who had just shave off his beard and moustache at the recommendation of an instructor who told him that was necessary in order to avoid a leaking mask, he was not a happy chappy when I told him it was not necessary

As a new diver, I found that a new mask made all the difference for me; I went through 4 before I found the one that worked for me. I still have to clear every now and then (sometimes), but it beats having to shave - last time I was clean shaven was January, 1980!

KevinL

It's a generic product than many dive shops sell packaged in a small container with their name or logo. Most come in a container about the size of a half dollar, 1/2 inch tall. When you apply it, put a small amount around the entire mask skirt. People without facial hair should to- it will stop annoying leaks for anyone. You don't need much.
DivemasterDennis

It's always good to have a good fitting mask, and with 1/8" shave right under the nose one may not need Silicone grease, but I use it anyway. It's good to carry a 1/2 oz container for o-rings on lights, cameras other than Sealife's, even tanks with old looking rings as well as a mustache.

The 1/2 oz container can offered at amazingly high prices so I like to buy the 2 oz size and refill the 1/2 ounce with a butter knife. I once found a 2 oz container in hardware plumbing supplies, but not since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom