My daughter's ashes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear about your loss Mike,

I understand what you want to do and think that you can make it, specially if you take the ashes outside of the park or to areas that are not easily accessible

I'm pretty sure the OP's name is Mark, and I think what was specifically asking about was leaving an urn containing ashes on the reef somewhere. The concern that many have is that a typical funerary urn is pretty obviously a container. Since it may not be obvious what its purpose is, a diver who finds it may open it or take it. Even someone who recognizes what it is might remove it.

For those suggesting interesting alternatives of underwater columbaria, memorial parks, or artificial reefs, those look very interesting and would likely fit the needs of many people. They wouldn't address mark01's wish to have part of his daughter's remains specifically in Cozumel waters.

This is what a friend did with his wife's ashes and placed in the marine park in Florida. He visits his wife often.

Bought piece of a good size aquarium coral. Brought it to a garden center where they make concrete garden ornaments. They made a cast of the coral, then using the ashes mixed with concrete pour the cast. He hand painted the new coral to match a coral formation his wife and he visited often. He was able to dig a few inches into the sand bottom and place the concrete adjacent to the coral head. It looked like it was part of the Coral.

It's been 8 years now and he said that some of the paint has worn off but the natural scum, mold, algae, and plant life have engulfed it so that you never know it was not real.

This was in Florida so no problem getting it there as it weighed 15lbs and no customs.

Perhaps the ashes could be mixed with concrete (such as others have suggested), but the concrete could be formed to look like a rock typical of Cozumel waters. While this wouldn't eliminate the risk of someone removing it, it would probably reduce it.

My family and I would like to thank each of you for your condolences, advice, and concern regarding the death of our daughter and the internment of her ashes in Cozumel. Your support has been more comfort than you could know. Stacy Sue was a marvel both in the water and out and I will very much miss having her with me both in the water and out. Peace be with you all and your families.

We did something similar with my step mom when she died. She LOVED Canyon de Chelley, which is a National park AND a Navaho reservation. The Navaho have very strange beliefs about the dead and would NEVER consent to having her ashes scattered there. We mixed the ashes with cement and made a "rock" which had her name inscribed underneath. We found a good spot and left it there.

You could do the same. It might be heavy, if you make a large one, but still carryable. You could lay it on her favorite reef, and it will quickly become overgrown. Just don't be upset if you can't find it in the future.

The urn would likely be found and brought to the surface by someone. Not a good end......

My family and I would like to thank each of you for your condolences, advice, and concern regarding the death of our daughter and the internment of her ashes in Cozumel. Your support has been more comfort than you could know. Stacy Sue was a marvel both in the water and out and I will very much miss having her with me both in the water and out. Peace be with you all and your families.
I'm certainly wishing you the best with your special task. It would be preferable to work within the rules and approval process of course, and I agree that an urn left at recreational depths would surely be collected by some curious diver. I've read of some being found in other locations.

One friend who had dive shop near Paradise reef died on that wall, and her mom had a statue shipped to Coz where several divers lowered it onto the sand there. It's much too large to pick up, but who knows what a powerful hurricane will do to it someday? As long as the urn is significantly negative in the water, I think dropping it in a deep location might be most secure. Any urn or concrete rock left in nature is subject to the forces tho. My only experiences have been with helping to scatter on a farm, or bury an urn at a cemetery.

Not to change the subject but, to change the subject I believe the OP was looking for the proper way to do this and I think he got some good thoughts and some good advice.

I for one wish him well and I hope he is able to accomplish his goal I know I would be pleased if when I pass my ashes are spread somewhere on a reef no matter the form. As long as it wasn't cold freakin water.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom