my deep air story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put on a 9 mm powerhead, and pop the first one...80 feet away about 5 other tech divers are suddenly reaching all over their 1st stages, trying to figure out if the explosion they just heard was one of their regs :)

Love it!

Who cares what othe people think? You pushed the limits and you learned from your experiences, I'm sure that I'm not the only one that'd be interested in hearing your stories.

And he was certainly not alone. It was a real cowboy culture back in the day.

R..

I just put this in the vintage forum, but it fits here too, as it relates to deep air back in the 60's for Frank Hammett, and me in the 80's.

Frank was the guy that could do ANYTHING underwater....his natural talents were amazing, even in this video portion CNN had done where he was around 70 years old. I have many dozen of great stories about Frank :)
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...-beach-florida-frank-hammett.html#post7059242

Nice read. I like to read/hear stories like that. I'm a car guy and love WRC and F1 and when I read and see about Group B and the older 1000+hp F1 cars , with nowhere near the electronics and driver aids that they have now, I think, "damn they could drive their asses off" not to take anything from the current drivers (they're way talented), but damn!

I have come to the conclusion that Canadians tolerate narcosis better than Americans because we grew up with beer that actually contains alcohol

numbskull-1024x682.jpg

Of course I am just kidding thanks for the post. I too find narcosis affect to be more of a slowing of reasoning rather than the euphoric, or dark narc experiences others have reported.

Oh and I have heard that Budweiser contains trace amounts of alcohol

I really feel sorry for the newer diver today. Who's going to clammer around 20 years later and want to hear stories of how they followed their training, dove within their limits and mitigated all risk.
That's probably why young people are so eager to play video games in which they can still be heroic.

I look stupidly at things that ought to have meaning to me, and don't.

I've had similar experiences while narc'd.

I was professional navigator many years ago (back before GPS when we really had to use a compass), so I am very familiar with a compass. One time I was so narc'd so bad that I looked at my compass and I didn't recognize anything on the dial. All those funny letters and numbers on the dial had no meaning to me. I knew there was N, S, E and W, but I couldn't figure out what was what on the dial. I was only at 100 feet but it was completely dark and the viz was only a few feet. I guess the "dark narc" is worse for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom