My loser moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This happened to me in OW class... wasn't completely focused last day of OW (other issues on my mind) anyway first dive of the day, instructor gives us a briefing (what we are going to do), basically two tasks. Fin pivot, inflating BC orally and mask removal and replace. No biggie right? Well we descend (25 feet), I'm first in line, gives me the OK sign, OK back, gives me the remove mask signal... what do I do? Remove mask, spit regulator... nice, looking for regulator with no mask on is real fun... needless to say instructor promptly grabs reg and me and shoves it back in my mouth. Than I'm so flustered I replace mask, suck water into my nose and try to clear, when I finally do clear I am hacking and gaging with all the water... took me a few to regain my composer. He goes on down the line, of course everyone else does it without issue. So he comes back to me and makes me do it again... this time no issues.... oh well at least I didn't panic!

We started our third dive and were at about 15 feet when he pointed to his mask, gave me the trouble sign and then thumbs up. I thought he was trying to tell me his mask was fogging and he wanted to surface to clear it. I stopped him and motioned for him to break the seal, let a little water in, then clear it.....................................But what he was trying to tell me was that he had had a mask squeeze.

You may have misunderstood the problem, but you ended the squeeze.

deepstops:
While many noobs often call hogfish hog snapper, that doesn't make it correct. They are in the wrasse family.

Yes, the Hogfish is a wrasse. No, it isn't a snapper. OTOH, neither Hogfish nor Hog Snapper is a scientific name. They are common names and as such are both correct. I prefer the name Hogfish, but I know some "noobs" with over 50 years experience who call it a Hog Snapper.

First boat dive as a certified and without a buddy, the DM has arranged a buddy for me. I get all my stuff set up, look around at others to make sure I did everything right, wait and watch as others enter the water, put my BCD on, test air and octo, stand up and am pulled back down...bungy still attached to the tank. I can only imagine what my new buddy must have been thinking when he saw that.

Yup...been there, done that and quickly pulled back down on my seat.
:439::439::439:

Looks like "dive-boat bungee" is one of the most common...

(So now I don't feel so bad. Add me to the list... :) )

there's some great stuff on here. glad we can all laugh at our own mistakes.
a few years ago was diving off a small boat in cozumel and decided that i would put my bcd on in the water (have no idea what made me want to do this). anyway, inflate the bcd, toss it in the water and jump in after it. i dump the air and the plan was to put it on using the throw it over my head method all while descending (again, i have no idea what me want do this). well, about 15ft down i noticed i didn't have a reg in my mouth :D i quickly grabbed my reg and then finished putting my bcd on. luckily i wasn't diving with my regular buddies so no one to keep reminding me. :D

i have also done many of the other things like forgetting to take the bungee of the first stage, forgetting to put my tank straps on, etc. :D

Just setting up my kit in between dives without taking the bungie cord off of the tank before putting my regulators on... I had the BC on, everything was snapped in, mask and fins on...tried to stand up and D'OH!!!! (and of course it was my DIN set up that day)

edit:
Oh..and I reminded myself about what happened AFTER I un-bungeed myself...I almost walked off the boat without my fins!

Yes, the Hogfish is a wrasse. No, it isn't a snapper. OTOH, neither Hogfish nor Hog Snapper is a scientific name. They are common names and as such are both correct. I prefer the name Hogfish, but I know some "noobs" with over 50 years experience who call it a Hog Snapper.
Hog Snapper is a vernacular name from Jamaica where it is used to refer to Bodianus rufus, commonly known as the Spanish Hogfish. Hogfish is a vernacular name that is applied, in one way or another, to 26 different species of wrasse but which is reserved by both the FAO and AFS for Lachnolaimus maximus.

Add me to the list of desent with snorkle...
Also, during my second boat dive for the day... Check my reg for air flow but failed to check air capacity. During my regular air consumption check at 40 ft and 10 minutes into the dive noted 0 psi??? What the gauge is stuck?? Whoa starting to have difficulty breathing! Yikes. Insta buddy not around but thankfully very close to DM...
Oh yeah - wet suit inside out. :)

Put me down for DOS (decent on snorkle).....twice on the same dive.

On my first OW class I didn't secure the tank properly to my BC when I set up my gear. At 20 ffw the only thing holding it was the safety strap.

On a shore dive, I floated my BC out to deep water and donned it at the surface and went to descend...no dice. No weights!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom