My new setup. Advice, comments and concerns wanted.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MKrauter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, this is my new setup as far as hoses and BC goes. It comprises of a DSS LCD 30# wing w/ a SS Medium plate, I've also got a Hog harness. Regulators are a Genesis Gs2000 and a Genesis octo w/ a 7'/22'' longhose/shorthose configuration. Also I've got a 24'' HP hose with a DiveRite Tech SPG which I believe is SS and glass.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer on how I can route my hoses or secure them? What I am most concerned about is the LPI and Corrugated hose. When I wear the BP/W it hangs over my shoulder and will sometimes drift too far to the left. I had to replace the corrugated hose from that supplied by DSS because it was too short and I could not turn the hose enough to orally inflate (tried lowering and putting the tank higher as well).

photo (1).jpgphoto.jpg

* Sorry about the orientation of the pictures. I am not sure how to turn them the right way up as they are properly orientated on my computer.

I have the same set up, I really like my DSS set up. I agree the LPI corrugated hose seems short at first. I have a small piece of bungie right where my left d-ring is that I use to hold it inlace, if the hose was longer I would be concerned that it would dangle to much.

The long hose comes of the reg under your arm tuck in waist strap then up and around your neck. Google DIR hose routing on you tube or check out the UTD website.

I would 2nd the suggestion to try a loop of bungee to contain your inflator & corrugated hoses. I have mine where the d-ring is...just push the webbing up a little, loop the bungee under (tie bungee into a loop first, of course), then pull the harness webbing back tight. Works great.

The DSS setup should have come with enough pieces of inner tube to allow you to put one on the left shoulder strap. Tobin is now routing the LP inflator hose under that piece of inner tube, which holds the hose/inflator assembly quite securely along the harness.

Did you try the oral inflation with the wing fully inflated? I'm surprised you couldn't get it done. I can do mine, although it requires some pulling -- but it doesn't work as well if the wing is full. (Of course, it would never be full if I were trying to inflate it orally!)

I did use the pieces of innertube that were supplied. I also added on the corrugated hose itself to keep it a little cleaner (IMO).

As far as orally inflating went I tried it with both a flat and partially filled wing. I found that I had to turn my head completely to the left (and then some) as well as contort the LPI head as well to inflate. Even then I did not completely seal the oral inflate tube (half stuck out of my mouth).

Better solution is to use bungee loop through the shoulder d ring. Then route ONLY the LP hose through it. It will hold the whole shebang down and allow the inflator to rise easily should you need to raise it to dump. BUNGEE LOOP DETAIL.jpg

Alright. Ill get a hold of some shock cord and try it out. Also, as far as hose routing from the 1st stage is concerned. I have my longhose attached to the rear LP port and the short hose on the port closest to me. Does it really matter as long as they're both on the right side?

That corrugated hose looks long to me. I use a 16" and it reaches my mouth no problem, and sits right near my shoulder.

I bungy the corrugated hose to the harness. It keeps the hose right where I need it and is easy to vent. The bungy is not too tight, so there's enough flex to get it above the hose elbow to become the high point. I also use a little tubbing further up the hose to keep the LP inflator hose close to the corrugated hose.

Here's mine since you showed me yours...
IMG_1813.jpg

My long hose comes off the back part of my HOG first stage, and my 22" hose comes off the front one. My LPI actually comes off the 5th port on the bottom because it's a little long. Min are all braded so they're flexible.

Haha gotta say I'm not that disproportionate! I found that with the hose provided by Tobin the LPI sat slightly above my ear when raised. I am comfortable with the hose I've got currently though I may try the shorter one again.

Back
Top Bottom