My Photobucket is overflowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay. I've reached a limit. You probably noticed that my feeble photographic skills haven't been on display for a few weeks. I tried to put my better pics from my latest dives in my Photobucket site about a month ago and got "You have used 100 albums. There are no more albums available". I could put them in the main section, and did once, but then they're just chronological and there's a huge lump of pics with no real organization.
I've always kept one album for the best shots from each dive. I've been thinking for a while of consolidating, but I'm not sure how. I like looking back on the dives. How do you arrange your albums for public display? Do you group them by subject? By location? By dive trip?
When I store the RAW conversions on my hard drive, I make new albums by quarters. I'll have a week to mess with it during my spring break (Sometimes being a teacher has its plusses!) What should I do?

I only use Photobucket for pictures I want to share on the Internet. For the vast majority of my pictures, I organize them by year, location, and date on my hard drive. The ones I particularly want to keep go on a back-up disk.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I keep my photos on my computers and external storage drives and in Photoshop. The Photobucket account is temporary. Recently my account was damaged by hackers I suppose. I would not count on such a service for permenant storage.

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

N

I store my pics to hardrive ofc. and for my backup i use Google Picasa what i brilliant sw to store ur photos to web(1gb free space)

I only use Photobucket for pictures I want to share on the Internet. For the vast majority of my pictures, I organize them by year, location, and date on my hard drive. The ones I particularly want to keep go on a back-up disk.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I keep my photos on my computers and external storage drives and in Photoshop. The Photobucket account is temporary.

I too keep all my pictures on hard drive (with not enough back-up, but I'm working on that). I use the Photobucket for public sharing, for posting on forums such as this one, and my wife uses it to e-mail and display my underwater shots and pictures of our dog, etc. in e-mail and other forums. I've found it easier to track by dive date, year and location, and that also let's others look at my latest dives rather than trying to search the archives, but maybe I need to make a few "yearly" albums, or make some albums by subject, maybe a "favorites" album. When you move the shots, anything you've posted recently will disappear, but I don't think that there's anything that current or critical that it would effect. Maybe if someone was looking waaay back on the "Members photo gallery" thread they might get little "moved or no longer available" signs. It might affect some avatars as well.

Okay, I took all my keepers from '07 taken in Monterey/Carmel out of individual dive folders and put them in one big folder in reverse order. I marked each shot with a description to keep the date and dive on it. The folder is Monterey Diving 2007 pictures by Larry_C - Photobucket. The alternate look is one main folder with subfolders for each dive. I did this with my 07 Channel Island pics.Channel Islands 07 pictures by Larry_C - Photobucket
Which works better, or should I do something different when I do the rest? Subfolders were much faster. It took me a full day + to individually mark and relocated the 446 pics in the Monterey 07 folder.

I use photobucket and Flickr. I maxed photobucket out and had to decide which to expand, by Paying for a service increase. I like flickr's service better ( although it is easier to post from photobucket) and paid for a membership. For very little money, I have been unable to max it out.

i take so many photos i dont know what to do with them all!. For web use, i have a photobucket for general pictures, a webshots for animal (and now diving pictures) and a deviantart for the best of them or ones i want critiuqe on. So maybe you could just open up another photobucket account as a continuation?

As far as storage goes, i try not to keep them only on my hard drive, but am looking for a better back up option than CDs. Found out the hard way that when CDs get scratched or damaged your photos are no more :(

I went back to Photobucket after using flickr for a while. I still throw some stuff up on flickr now and again, but really can't justify paying $25 a year just to have some images for others to look at or to link to my blog etc. Photobucket works better for me and using the code there is SO much simpler.

I have very generic folders on Photobucket "ningaloo reef 2009 part I", "My life 2009 part I" etc.

I also cull pretty heavily before uploading and don't just throw a bunch of third rate images up, even though I'll keep those on the hard drive :)

Back
Top Bottom