My Venture into GUE - Another view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup ... and I believe you were with me the day I almost became an idiot ... :D

Actually, I didn't even know what it was at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is all of the "fluffy" stuff part of the Nettle as well, or is it just the body and the black strands?

Henrik

Is all of the "fluffy" stuff part of the Nettle as well, or is it just the body and the black strands?

Henrik

The fluffy stuff is part of the critter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Henrik

Fluffy stuff included at no extra charge.

But when there are any significant number of nettles around, all you really fixate on are the long black tentacles, and how close they are to your face :D

Well I don't always do this either and just last week got thrown a loop. I have never had a buddy suddenly have ear issues at 65ffw. Our communication wasn't very clear, I normally stagger a descent like this with maybe 2ft vertical seperation but still close enough to see everyone. Someone has to lead by at least a little afterall because you're right "formation" is somewhat artificial and doesn't actually work at a site with current etc.

I was leading our group of 3, someone new was #2 and I didn't realize #3 had to stop and was 20ft above where I couldn't see her (on a recreational fun dive). Vis was about 8-10ft. Got to the bottom, thumbed it. Came up to #3, waited for her to clear, redescended.

Guess my point is the communication on ascent/descent skills are there to use them - even when they seem "unnecessary". Would have been better on my part with a new person to be in tighter formation.

As buddy #2 I can attest that descending in a tighter formation would have been better. The problem is basically that it's easy to see below, and if diving in appropriate head-back position easy enough to see horizontally, but not easy to see up. So when the diver on top has trouble it doesn't get recognized immediately.

I checked on diver #3 at around 20 feet and around 40 feet, and then not again until the bottom. In those 60 seconds or less, she had ear troubles. Rjack has amazing situational awareness befitting his dive count and training, and therefore noticed quickly, thumbed it, and we ascended towards the light shining from above. Had it been an OOA situation, entanglement, or had she been blown off the line with a current, what was a minor situation could easily have been a major one.

So descending as a team doesn't seem like such a silly idea to me.

Fluffy stuff included at no extra charge.

But when there are any significant number of nettles around, all you really fixate on are the long black tentacles, and how close they are to your face :D

Never got stung by a nettle. I have been stung by lion's manes a few times ... that's not much fun either. Feels like you just ran face-first into a hot wire ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Descending as a team is certainly an important skill. The triangle is cute and works well in calm water, but a prudent diver should be prepared for other, less pretty configurations.

A team of three without scooters descending in current down an angled anchor line poses its own set of complications.

Reactions: Jax
Yup ... and I believe you were with me the day I almost became an idiot ... :D

IMG_7079.jpg

Actually, I didn't even know what it was at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks a lot, now I won't be able to sleep due to the nightmares.

Honestly, I won't go in when the nettles are thick. It isn't quite a phobia but it is pretty close.

The fluffy stuff is part of the critter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob. Nice picture btw. One of yours?

Henrik

Got to the bottom, thumbed it. Came up to #3, waited for her to clear, redescended

Seems like just last week that some people were saying a Thumb meant dive over. Finished. Period

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom